3 yrs, teeth not aligned and ortho wants me out: follow up Q

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

londug

3 yrs, teeth not aligned and ortho wants me out: follow up Q

#1 Post by londug »

I posted 3 weeks ago (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40689) - thank you for responding honestly and candidly. It helped me to go into my appt today feeling confident and armed with "what if" scenarios. Here's a quick recap and a few additional questions for the experienced and wise folks on this forum. :)

One quick look and my ortho said I was ready to be debraced, and I felt I was not. My 2 teeth are still hitting (right top & bottom canines), right back molar is tilted too far inward, and I still have the space where my teeth are uncomfortably coming into contact. I pointed all of these items out and she offered up solutions. She also said once debraced, my teeth will move slightly and will naturally move into the right place. She thinks my upper teeth are ready and recommended I return next week to have the upper braces removed first and continue working on the bottom ones.

Is it true about my teeth shifting in to place once debraced?
Is this a reasonable approach to remove upper braces first - will I need them to help move my bottom ones into place?
To move the tilted molar, ortho plans to replace the bracket with a band, placed higher up on the tooth where my filling would have prevented the bracket from adhering. To prep the molar, they put spacers in place & it appears the spacers have shifted my canines on the other (left) side, making the top canine hit the lower canine. Before these 2 teeth were positioned just perfectly. Will this change once the spacers and band are removed?

I am starting to lose faith that I will have the teeth and bite I had hoped to have at the end of this journey.

BBQ Grill

Re: 3 yrs, teeth not aligned and ortho wants me out: follow

#2 Post by BBQ Grill »

Wow...Ur ortho is horrible....any doctor that needs the patients to point out what's wrong needs more training...

ArchWired28

#3 Post by ArchWired28 »

I have heard that having an odd # of teeth removed is rarely a good solution. I understand that you are too far in your treatment right now, but just wondering: was a possibility of removing the 4th premolar even considered at some point?

On the other note, to me, your teeth looks great. However, an uncomfortable bite is of course not acceptable. I would probably seek a 2nd opinion before debracing. Uncomfortable bite is something that can compromise your TMJ health, and this is an endless pain and should never be allowed to happen.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

TumbleDryLow

#4 Post by TumbleDryLow »

1. Yes teeth can and do settle after braces are removed, even with 24/7 retainer wear. Mostly your bite settles. Molars that are a bit uncomfortable when braces are removed will move to meet more comfortably once the wires are out and they are allowed to do so. That happened to me---my bite was still "off" when my braces were removed, but (and it took about a year) my bite is better now.
2. I have heard of one set of braces being removed before the other so this could be a reasonable approach, however I bet if you ask your ortho to just leave the tops on until the bottoms are ready, she probably will.
3 A band will probably be able to tilt the molar effectively and my guess is that once the spacers are removed the teeth that shifted slightly will very quickly move back into position.