Erupting Molars

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TMJJill

Erupting Molars

#1 Post by TMJJill »

Anyone else out there working on having your molars erupted?

I've been in my upper braces for 3 months now. I received a bracket on my back lower molars a couple months ago. That bracket has had 3 bands around it every night. I have one set that is helping hold my jaw forward when I sleep. The other band is in a "V" with my top molars acting as the top of the V and the bottom molar the bottom of the V. This V has been helping my back molars erupt. At my 6 week follow-up today, I found out that I'm going to get brackets on my second to last molars (#6's) at my next visit to start erupting those molars with elastics. I'll be adding another V at night for that set as well.

I'm curious to hear from others who are erupting their molars. Are your experiences similar?

I'm dealing with TMJ bite issues that I'm trying to treat with the braces. I've been in splint treatment for 1 1/2 years already and my jaw is in a better forward position, but my back teeth don't touch. That is why I need to erupt my molars. If I can get them up enough, I'll be able to avoid needing snocaps at the end of my orthodontic treatment.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: Erupting Molars

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Hey my top moolars are going to be erupted soon :) they grew out in unison with my Wisdom teeth. Second Molars are the ones we are going to be erupting with the help of braces. I already had all my wisdom teeth taken out. My ortho said we have to focus on the overbite mainly because that's my goal. She said when she sees fit she will hook them up.
Jenn Medeiros

kaddessi

#3 Post by kaddessi »

That sounds painful :( I had two bottom molars removed because they were still babies and I'm 25! My ortho said I'm very lucky and they are erupting on their own! If they keep on their path we will only need to move them into place with my braces.

time4achange

#4 Post by time4achange »

hope everything goes well for ya