Chipped Front Tooth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracedSurgeryStudent

Chipped Front Tooth

#1 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Hey everyone I have had a chipped front tooth the chip in on the left central inscisor at the botom right side near the midline. it's becoming more noticable now thatmy front teeth are rotating normal and it is bothering me alot.

Can my Ortho fix it/sand it?

If not could my dentist do that? Since I dont have dental insurance do you think they could do it as a sanding that would make it cheaper?
Jenn Medeiros

ashesgap

Re: Chipped Front Tooth

#2 Post by ashesgap »

Thanks to a jumping 2 year old, and a cup of coffee I have a chipped upper central as well. She took out the corner and some of the bottom of the tooth. I went to my regular dentist and he did some bonding, and you can't even see it. I know some one on here had their tooth pulled down a little, so they could have some bonding removed. But that only works if you have enough crown of the tooth up in the gum. I guess you could just get it sanded a bit, but I think for aesthetics you'd want to get some bonding done on it. A big thing though, is waiting till you're done in braces and everything has settled. That way you can see exactly what and how you want it fixed. I'm also sure your ortho has an opinion and how she'd like you to take care of it.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

BracedSurgeryStudent

#3 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

My chipped tooth is pictued below. But I was wondering if after seeing my picture you think she could sand it? I also have REALLY long roots. I have not brought up the chipped tooth thing yet but it's really bothering me now that my two front teeth are rotating into their normal positions. Let me know what you think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jenn Medeiros

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I have a front tooth that has a small chip; my ortho plans on doing bonding.

I am not sure what sanding is but with a little bit of bonding, you won't even know there was a chip there. This step usually takes place when the braces are removed. They will make everything pretty for you so I wouldn't worry.

I bet most people don't even notice and I wouldn't do anything until the end of treatment.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#5 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Would the ortho be the one to do it? Because my ortho said everything she does is the only thing that is going to be covered by her, so I was hoping she can be the one to take care of it. Maybe I could bring it up at my next appointment.
Jenn Medeiros

ashesgap

#6 Post by ashesgap »

Yeah you definitely want bonding done on that. It's not so big that everyone notices now, but it's big enough that sanding would cause a huge difference in the appearance of it. I'm sure no one notices anything like that past the braces. We stare at our teeth everyday though, so we see everything ten times bigger than it actually is.
You could talk to your ortho, and maybe you'll luck out and she'll fix it. If not, I can tell you that getting a little bonding like that is pretty cheap.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

BracedSurgeryStudent

#7 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Cool. Thanks :) I'll def ask.
Jenn Medeiros

Snowglobe32

#8 Post by Snowglobe32 »

My ortho does it, they told me in the beginning plus I have seen it done when someone was getting debanded as I was...not. :)

ashesgap

#9 Post by ashesgap »

Snowglobe32 wrote:My ortho does it, they told me in the beginning plus I have seen it done when someone was getting debanded as I was...not. :)
Lol Snowglobe, at the last two appointments teenagers have either been getting their braces off, or being told they're ready. The Techs actaully look at me, and we tell my Doc that that's just not fair.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

BracedSurgeryStudent

#10 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Cool thanks I'll hvae to bring it up.
Jenn Medeiros

BracedSurgeryStudent

#11 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Thanks, what if we sanded the uneven edge of the chipped tooth a little and brought it down with braces? So we can reduce the need for bonding?
Jenn Medeiros

augustday

#12 Post by augustday »

I bet your ortho might be able to do that on the computer and see if he can photoshop or use some other program and make the edge smoother. You can do it yourself--take a picture of your teeth, upload on computer, open it in photoshop and try it.

ashesgap

#13 Post by ashesgap »

BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:Thanks, what if we sanded the uneven edge of the chipped tooth a little and brought it down with braces? So we can reduce the need for bonding?
I think that would really be an option. As long as you have enough to pull down, without mess'n around too much with the root. You don't do the sanding or shaping till you get it pulled down where you want it. Let us know what your ortho says.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

BracedSurgeryStudent

#14 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Thanks yeah I have really long roots anyways or myabe she can just sand it without pulling the tooth down. I will definatly have to ask her. I go back in January will let you know :)
Jenn Medeiros

PrincessLea

#15 Post by PrincessLea »

I had a chip on the exact same tooth and mine was a little worse than that. I've had it for around 9 years and never got it sorted but a few months into my braces treatment they just sanded it down. We hadn't discussed it but they noticed the chip and brought down the tooth a bit so they could sand it off! happy with the results and rather have it that way than bonding!

I'm planning to have my teeth zoom whitened after everything as a treat as I'm going through jaw surgery. The whitening doesn't work on bonding. Plus I know people that have had bonding done in the past and after a few years it has yellowed slightly a different colour to the teeth! hope this helps!