How long before braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vincent168

How long before braces?

#1 Post by vincent168 »

I was just wondering, after the first consultations, how long does it take for you to actually get braces on?

I understand the consultation is about meeting each other, discussing options, treatment plants and being informed about the costs. Then the next consultation is about photos and x rays? Then finally its braces, but I'm not sure how long is the interval between those consultations. I do understand it varies but just curious in general how long it takes.

Thank you

catgyrl

Re: How long before braces?

#2 Post by catgyrl »

It really does depend in the orthodontist. My first consultation also included the impressions, X-rays and photos. I changed my mind about going to that guy, and had a second consultation. That one only consisted of a meeting because I had my photos, etc. transferred from the first guy. From my date of consultation to date of bracing could have been as short as a week; however, I had to schedule time off work to go, so I think it was a couple weeks after. I think my case was pretty straight-forward, so that's why it didn't take long.

vincent168

#3 Post by vincent168 »

catgyrl wrote:It really does depend in the orthodontist. My first consultation also included the impressions, X-rays and photos. I changed my mind about going to that guy, and had a second consultation. That one only consisted of a meeting because I had my photos, etc. transferred from the first guy. From my date of consultation to date of bracing could have been as short as a week; however, I had to schedule time off work to go, so I think it was a couple weeks after. I think my case was pretty straight-forward, so that's why it didn't take long.
So they took x rays and impressions before you decided whether you wanted to go ahead with it or not?

catgyrl

#4 Post by catgyrl »

vincent168 wrote:So they took x rays and impressions before you decided whether you wanted to go ahead with it or not?
No, I had told the first one I wanted to proceed with treatment, and they said they had time that day to do my X-rays, etc. After a day or two, I decided I didn't want to proceed with this orthodontist, and got a second consult. They're both on the same floor of the medical building, so I asked the first office of they could just transfer my records over to the second guy, and they obliged.

vincent168

#5 Post by vincent168 »

Would you know if that is 'normal'?
I mean even if I am certain, I prefer to go home and have a good think about whats going on and like in your case, I may want to change orthos but proceed.

sirwired

#6 Post by sirwired »

I believe the usual progression is:

Consultation
Records
Spacers (if necessary)
Bracing

The Consultation and Records (x-rays and impressions) can take place in a single visit. The interval between that and bracing depends on the Ortho's workload, scheduling, and how long it takes him to get study models (either plaster or virtual) made from your impressions.

I believe some Ortho's may only do bonding during certain slots when they don't have a lot of routine adjustments rolling in the office, as getting them on requires way more hands-on time than an adjustment does, and much of that time needs to be uninterrupted.

BracedInNOLA

#7 Post by BracedInNOLA »

I had an initial consult - basically the orthodonitist just looking at my mouth, manipulating my jaw - when he said I did need braces and that I didn't need extractions (whew).
Next visit was X-Rays and pictures only.
Third visit was 'sitting down' discussion on what was going to be done (in general terms), cost/time/what my night routine would be (brush, floss, waterpik, listerine, fluoride rinse - I think they did that then too so you could get the fluoride rinse, since he likes you to use a specific type (which thank goodness comes in flavors besides bubble gum) and not all pharmacies carry it)
4th visit will be impressions
5th will be actual attachments. He does a lot of the work on the braces on the impression, in theory so you don't have to spend as much time in the chair on brace day - but it's still a long appointment.

First three visits were about a week apart. I have over a month between 3rd and 4th visit - but in large part because of Christmas. 4th and 5th are a week apart, and they required that they were a week apart. If I have to move one, I have to move both.

I kind of wish that they'd done the first 2 appointments together. My ortho has two offices, so the office on my side of the river he's only there 2 or 3 days/week (he shares the office with a pediatric dentist who must have 2 offices as well) - so that also impacts how close together the first 3 appointments could be.

EbonyQ

#8 Post by EbonyQ »

On my first visit we only had a talk about braces and my dental fear, and he took a small look in my mouth and took x-rays.
We took impressions on my second visit and on the third visit he went through with what needed to be done and I had to say if I wanted to do this or not.
My fourth visit was actually my third visit once more because I kind of freaked out and did not catch a thing he said. He was very kind and did it once more, just with nobody around.
My fifth visit will be pictures and putting the brackets on (if I can do it) and then a week later the arch wire. We are doing it this slow because of my dental fear. Still don’t know if I can manage to get the brackets on my teeth next Wednesday, we’ll see.

It’s important that you don’t feel rushed. If you need time to think, tell your ortho this :thumbsup:

[/url]

Lux

#9 Post by Lux »

Took just over a month for me.... I started going for consults and all that the 1st week of October... and got braced Nov. 23rd.

metalsmile

#10 Post by metalsmile »

My total time took about a month, but it was because of my schedule, not his. First appointment was consult and records (uses virtual molds, not impressions). Second visit was installation. He said after the consult, that whenever I was ready, they'd be ready. He only needed a couple days.

BracesBlueKK

#11 Post by BracesBlueKK »

Well my orthodontist's office works something like this:

1st Appointment: Informal Consultation. (Basic x-rays, basic pictures, and a basic look at your teeth. Then there is a talk about the general treatment route, they estimate the cost, the problems they believe you have, and they tell you a quick summery of the office.)

2nd Appointment: Diagnostic Records. (They take impressions, more x-rays, and more pictures.) This happens about a month after the 1st appointment.

3rd Appointment: Formal Consultation. (They have a better idea of what your problems are, so they explain the probable treatment route, then length, set a price, and help out with all the insurance. Then you sign the contract, get an online account set up, learn how to properly care for braces, and you meet the 'team'.) This is 5-8 days after the 2nd appointment.

4th Appointment: Spacers. (This is only if you need them. Most need them unfortunately.) This about a week after the 3rd appointment.

4th/5th Appointment: Banding/Bracing. (Braces go on, you get taught by one of the team how to actually brush and floss, and if provided, you get the goodie bag) This a week after the 4th or 5th appointment. (Depending on the spacers)

So in-short about two months. The fastest I've heard of among friends is 2 1/2 weeks. The longest was 4 months.

phuongie

#12 Post by phuongie »

I went for a consultation on a Sunday morning, my mom came in with me and we took the xrays and did the teeth moulds. By Wednesday, my braces were already on top and bottom! It really depends on your ortho, I didn't wait long to get mine on.

vincent168

#13 Post by vincent168 »

Bit random, but in the consultation do you speak about your problems with the dental assistant?

kellyb

#14 Post by kellyb »

i had my consultation in mid november. it was about 45 mins and included discussion, examination of teeth, xrays, taking photos and impressions. at the beginning of december i was sent my treatment plan in the mail. i did not get back in touch with the orthodontist until end of december as i really wanted to think about it and make sure this is exactly what i wanted to do. eventually when i called end december i made an appointment for 7th jan for my lower arch to be fitted. it could have all been done sooner it i had not waited so long to get in touch after recieving the treatment plan

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

kellyb

#15 Post by kellyb »

vincent168 wrote:Bit random, but in the consultation do you speak about your problems with the dental assistant?
at my consultation i spoke to the ortho. the dental assistant was only there to do the impressions, xrays and photos. in the discussion phase, she wasn't even in the room

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013