Brace day is tommorow

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

workingmomma

Brace day is tommorow

#1 Post by workingmomma »

Hi Ya'll,

I am getting my braces tommorow and I'm really nervous.
My braces journey started about 11 years ago when I first went to the dentist. (My parents did not have dental insurance so I could not see one sooner). He advised me to consult an OD because of my TMJ and Cross bites. At the time, I consulted an OD but did not have the funds to continue treatment. Fast forward 11 years, and I am now going to get it done.
Is there anyone else getting braced tommorow, or that has had their's done recently. I'm sure I'll need a brace buddy to commiserate with and get through this. Also, What kind of soft foods should I stock up on? I'm a Diet Coke addict. Can I have it at all?

Thanks,
Kristy

Mazly007

Re: Brace day is tommorow

#2 Post by Mazly007 »

I just got my braces on the 6th. Apple sauce, yogurt, mashed potatoes, and soups have been my best friend the last few days.

workingmomma

#3 Post by workingmomma »

@ Mazly- Has the pain started to ease yet? I hope it gets better for you soon.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

I'm already counting down the days until I get these off.

olsonkd

#4 Post by olsonkd »

I will just be one week behind you. I get spacers this week and top braces next Tues. Good luck to you as you begin your journey!!

supppchrista

#5 Post by supppchrista »

I'm was in the same position you were in! When I was 10 I was about to get braces and my parents just couldn't afford it. Now, I'm 22, paying for my own braces. I got my 8 spacers over a month ago, got those removed a week later, got the bands on my molars, and just got 4 bi-cuspids pulled on Thursday. I will be getting my braces on Wednesday morning. More excited than nervous. Are you getting ceramic or metal?

Mazly007

#6 Post by Mazly007 »

[quote="workingmomma"]@ Mazly- Has the pain started to ease yet? I hope it gets better for you soon.[/quote]

Today the pain has actually been so much better. Sure there is discomfort/pressure, but that I can easily handle with ibprofen. I'm still staying away from anything I have to bite in to (e.g. sandwhich) but was able to start chewing some foods today without too much pain associated with it.

Just remember when it feels like the pain is going to last forever...you just need to wait a few days. :)

workingmomma

#7 Post by workingmomma »

@ Olsonkd- Good luck on your journey as well.

@ SuppaChrista- The OD wants to use metal on my bottoms and said I could choose either ceramic or metal for my uppers. I'm still trying to decide, but I think I'll go that way..

@Mazly007- Good to know that it gets a little better in a few days. I was afraid I would not be able to eat something semisolid for months. :)

@ everyone- How long are you going to be in your braces? The OD said that I will probably have to wear them 24-30 months.. I'm hoping its more toward the 24 than the 30.
[/url]

gramma2xander

#8 Post by gramma2xander »

So, did you get both top and bottem? How did it go? :-*

workingmomma

#9 Post by workingmomma »

@ gramma- I went with clear on both arches. The OD said that as long as I use the biteplate religously, I could have it that way. :) It went great. It took a little longer than I thought it would, but otherwise it was easy. The assistant explained everything that she was doing before she did it and answered all of my questions. The toughest thing about today has been trying to figure out how to eat. I can't bite down on anything and everything gets stuck under my bite plate. It's almost like having dentures.
[/url]

TheChico

#10 Post by TheChico »

Same here! Tomorrow is the day! :)

workingmomma

#11 Post by workingmomma »

@ The chico- Good luck on your brace day! Hope all goes well. :)
[/url]

workingmomma

#12 Post by workingmomma »

@ the gramma- How is everyone doing the ticker thing? I can't get mine to work...
[/url]

klobird

#13 Post by klobird »

Congratulations workingmomma!! :jump: :jump: :jump: You are now officially a brace face!!! Trust me, the time just flies by....

Everyone will tell you that soda is bad, and we all know it is--but I drink it with a straw---ALL THE TIME....

OK, I have to ask...after all this time, everyone talks about a bite plate, and their bite plate moving etc... I have no idea what a bite plate is--anyone????

Jano

#14 Post by Jano »

Yes workingmomma congratulations and welcome to the club :tingrin: You wont be sorry and the time will fly :-)
I also dont know what the reference to a bite plate is ? Is that something you put in at night so you dont grind and damage the new braces ?
By the way I think you need to do at least 8 or so posts before you are eligible to switch on your BB code to do the ticker signatures .

gramma2xander

#15 Post by gramma2xander »

@ workingmomma-go to tickerfactory.com-set up your ticker,then highlight your ticker and copy(right clickand hit copy). go to your profile then down to edit signature, and in the box right click again and select paste. That should do it! :)