Day one!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cheryl

Day one!!

#1 Post by Cheryl »

How long does it take not to hate your braces? So far I detest them, not how they look but how they feel xx :shock:
13mm overjet. Braces with lower jaw surgery and possible genio to correct.
NHS treatment in Scotland.

lau

Re: Day one!!

#2 Post by lau »

the 'acceptance' for me set in at end of the first month. at 2 months you will see some changes and this will help too. after 3 months I got used to them.
Wore Top & Bottom traditional metal brackets, wore elastics both sides 24/7
Brace day: Oct 4 2011 / Sentence: 18 months - DONE in 16 months
My story + progress pix

Jano

#3 Post by Jano »

Welcome to the braces club :jump: well done .
I hated the first 3 days , and used loads of wax to help my poor cheeks and lips in the first 3 weeks . But at 4 weeks it felt a bit ok and suddenly at 6 weeks I forgot I had them in . They told me my cheeks would toughen up and they did :D
Be kind to yourself and have some yummy smoothies and icecream or something else cold that helps in the first week

sibilla

#4 Post by sibilla »

Hard to believe when they first go in I know, but it does get better. I'm 6 months in with top and bottom braces now and can honestly say I don't notice them at all any more - apart from after adjustments obviously, when wax and paracetomol become my new best friends.

Hang in there - it's a bumpy road, but worth the journey....

Cheryl

#5 Post by Cheryl »

Thanks everyone!! It was a big shock to be honest, I was really worrying about how the look but not how they would feel and it's the complete opposite....
I went back to the ortho today as my lower wire was too big and digging holes in my cheeks. They trimmed it down and it's 100% better already, I'm really glad I'm not worrying about my appearence and feel more used to the braces already.

:D All in all not too bad now xx

kellyb

#6 Post by kellyb »

great news :)
i am almost 2 weeks in (lowers) and sometimes i dont even remember i am wearing them. a week ago it was a different story. though it did not hurt, i felt i had a very big mouth which was so noticeable. it does get better overtime :-)
i wonder how i will feel when my uppers go on in march?

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

ArchWired28

#7 Post by ArchWired28 »

If there was a way to describe my feelings right after I got braced, it would be "pure shock". I could not believe people spend months or even years with this awful thing in their mouth. But of course it got better eventually. The shock thing lasted for only a few days, while the soreness and discomfort for about a month (and comes after each adjustment). You will be allright, believe me.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

sea54change

#8 Post by sea54change »

If there was a way to describe my feelings right after I got braced, it would be "pure shock". I could not believe people spend months or even years with this awful thing in their mouth

Archwired- I totally agree with you on this comment! During the course of 15 months in braces I never ever forgot that they were in my mouth. Maybe it's due to a really small mouth or an overactive tongue :wink: I just could not relax with those pieces of metal dominating my mouth and my eating experience.

I have a permanent wire retainer on the back of my lower 4 front teeth. The ortho said "It will take just 2 or 3 days to get used it." Well, 2 weeks later I'm STILL not used to it. I'm not sure I can live with this wire for the rest of my life. When I go in for a check up on Feb 14, I'm going to ask about options. Instead of focusing on my smooth front uppers and lowers my tongue hangs out on the wire!
Bottom braces: 9-1-10
Top Braces: 12-1-10, enamel
Debrace date:Top 12-12-11
Bottom: 1-5-2012

megan1976

#9 Post by megan1976 »

It sounds like the first few months are no fun! My feet are getting colder. lol

EbonyQ

#10 Post by EbonyQ »

I'm not hating my braces so far, I thought I would be by now :roll:

[/url]

tinkc

#11 Post by tinkc »

I'm getting mine put on next Tuesday! I'm nervous that after they're on, I'm going to panic & wonder WHY did I do this? Hopefully that goes away after a few days!

auco99

#12 Post by auco99 »

I go in for mine next Tuesday. I wasn't all that nervous till reading some of the posts on this website! Yikes.

sibilla

#13 Post by sibilla »

Don't let us put you off! This board is good in so many ways - it's a great place for honest, down to earth advice and pearls of wisdom from people who have been there, done it or are still on the road to a beautiful smile. It's a bit like childbirth - no, not the pain! - the fact that no two people's experiences are the same and no-one can really prepare you for the shock you're probably going to feel. It's such a personal thing. As I'm sure hundreds of people have said before me, you'll get good days and you'll have some bad days (believe me - I have! I swing wildly from being ok with it all to wanting to rip them off my teeeth) but all in all, there are far worse things to endure!

Good luck to you - we're all there with you! :rose:

reynolk

#14 Post by reynolk »

I have been braced since November 1, so I am closing in on my 3 month bracerversary :BigGrin:. A week into them, I hated them so much that I seriously considered having them removed. I had my second adjustment yesterday, and I can honestly say that there will be times that you will forget that you have them on. I am so happy that I kept them on, and I would not change a thing.

Cheryl

#15 Post by Cheryl »

Sorry if I've scared anyone!!! Not my intentions....

I'm at day 6 now and whilst I'm still very aware of them, I'm not in any pain and other that a slight lisp due to my lips not fitting well I'm fine.

I have got one wee wobbly tooth, which I can feel clicking... if I wobbly it too much will it come out? I quite like the clicking so keep pushing it with my tongue?! :P