Teeth being moved too quickly?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Goofy

Teeth being moved too quickly?

#1 Post by Goofy »

I know, I know - I've only had the braces 3 days and already I'm worried. My teeth are very sore, and if I bite down I can feel / hear them creaking. My next 2 appointments have been scheduled at 4 week intervals - so 20 Feb and 19 March. I'm worried that this won't give the creaky teeth time to "bed in" in their new positions, and there'll be bone loss or something. I know I should just trust that my ortho knows what he's doing since he's the expert and everything - but can anyone reassure me?

Plumcore

Re: Teeth being moved too quickly?

#2 Post by Plumcore »

I think 4 weeks is normal for the first appointments, i had them at the same interval at first.

Also, my teeth started moving in about 5 days -ish since the braces first got on, and as far as i know you should be taking xrays at regular intervals to check for possible problems. I really think it's too early to worry, since the pain will lessen in the first month or so..from what i experienced at least.

What i mean is, the pain you feel NOW at first is a bit worse than the pain you will feel later after an adjustment or two.

The creaking feeling is normal, from what i know, and it always feels/sounds worse for the ones getting it ;)

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

Slightly loose teeth are perfectly normal throughout your treatment. Yes, it does feel a little freaky, but this is just the stretched ligaments of your teeth being stretched. (They have to stretch, otherwise the tooth would never move.)

Your ortho knows how much force he's "dialed in" to your current wire.

Interestingly, you don't need to give the teeth time to "settle in" before scooting them along further... some ligature-less bracket systems, combined with certain other wire systems, mean that the forces are continuous over months and the teeth virtually never stop moving.

ArchWired28

#4 Post by ArchWired28 »

Goofy
you will be allright. I cannot express enough how I was terrified in the beginning by freaky loose teeth, clicks and soreness that won't go away. But it is all good now.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

MetalMouf

#5 Post by MetalMouf »

My teeth were making all sorts of noises in the very beginning and they were also VERY sore. I think it's pretty normal. Now I'm a month in and my teeth feel good and I can eat just about anything.
Braced since: December 22, 2011

Sentence: 20 months

Dental problems: All

Braces: Damons

Come say hi and see my progress at: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41336

Goofy

#6 Post by Goofy »

Thanks everyone, I feel much better now - my teeth aren't clicking as much and I they're not nearly as sore - as long as I chew everything on the back ones, that is. The brackets finally feel a bit more "normal" in my mouth, hurrah!