Hole on roof of my mouth from palate expander??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mdoodm1000

Hole on roof of my mouth from palate expander??

#1 Post by Mdoodm1000 »

Hey everyone, I've posted about my troubles with orthodontics so far, and I have more bad and some possibly good? I got fitted for another expander this past week, and when they took off the old one, there was what seemed like a deep hole in the roof of my mouth. I asked the assistant about it and she said there was food stuck there, and it formed a sore. She then tried to show me how to clean it, and couldn't even get the brush inside because my gums are so sore. She said that I should try to clean it and rinse my mouth with peroxide. I try cleaning it, but everytime I do, it starts to bleed. Anyone have a problem like this? Another thing I was worried about was the expander was just tipping my teeth, so I finally said something to my ortho and he said "you're getting 60% tipping and 40% actual splitting of your palate because your entire palate is changing." Didn't know that was possible, but I guess that's good news? Any input or advice would be appreciated..Thnk you!!

Leilo0

Re: Hole on roof of my mouth from palate expander??

#2 Post by Leilo0 »

Do you know how long you get to have your expanders on?
I had them on for three months and it too was starting to embed itself on the roof of my mouth.
Luckily, I was able to pry it away and clean in between so I had no sores. I tried to gurgle with salt water often to keep my mouth clean. Hope you won't have it on too long. I can empathize. Expanders are no fun!

staje

Re: Hole on roof of my mouth from palate expander??

#3 Post by staje »

Wow, I must have an inch or more of space between my expander and the roof of my mouth. I had no idea that some expanders were that close to the palate!