Week 1: Bracket fell off & brackets hitting

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newbrace24

Week 1: Bracket fell off & brackets hitting

#1 Post by newbrace24 »

A bracket fell off yesterday while I was chewing. It was glued to a crown that I have on my bottom left molar and it popped right off. Thankfully, the wire isn't stabbing me at all. I called my ortho first thing this morning, but I haven't heard back from him. Will this significantly delay my treatment since I have only had braces on for a week?

Also, on my right side, my top molar keeps hitting against my bottom bracket whenever I chew. My ortho says that this is because my bottom molar is kind of rolled inwards toward my tongue, but once my molar is moved to the correct position, they won't hit anymore. However, now I am terrified to chew anything because biting down on the bottom bracket really hurts and I'm afraid that I'm going to bite it right off or chip my top molar. I have had to do all of my chewing on my left side (this is what I think caused the broken bracket I talk about above)

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

BracedInNOLA

Re: Week 1: Bracket fell off & brackets hitting

#2 Post by BracedInNOLA »

I had a bracket fall off in the middle of the night, so it does happen. Then the ortho (I think) skipped a curing step and the replacement fell off when I was eating french fries (SO not a crunchy or sticky food!) on my way back to the office. It's stayed since.

They'll likely get it back on within the week - it shouldn't significantly impact your treatment time, just based on time alone.

BraceFace2o1o

#3 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

If you're only a week in I wouldn't worry about it delaying your treatment. Your Ortho should replace it as soon as possible though.
newbrace24 wrote:Also, on my right side, my top molar keeps hitting against my bottom bracket whenever I chew. My ortho says that this is because my bottom molar is kind of rolled inwards toward my tongue, but once my molar is moved to the correct position, they won't hit anymore. However, now I am terrified to chew anything because biting down on the bottom bracket really hurts and I'm afraid that I'm going to bite it right off or chip my top molar. I have had to do all of my chewing on my left side (this is what I think caused the broken bracket I talk about above)
I experienced the exact same thing when I first got my braces on. My upper molar kept hitting on the lower molar band/bracket so I told my ortho and he shaved the bracket down a little, but not too much as he stated the hook on that bracket would be needed later in treatment. If it's bothering you that much you could just bring it up with your Ortho and they might apply some build ups to your molars for a while to stop it from happening.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

newbrace24

#4 Post by newbrace24 »

Thanks, I am going tomorrow to get the bracket back on. I will see what he says about the brackets hitting.