Ceramic uppers, metal lowers. Why?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fernando

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers. Why?

#1 Post by Fernando »

I recently got all ceramics braces (uppers and lowers). Is there any specific reason for the "ceramic/metal" combination?

Rusty'sMom

Re: Ceramic uppers, metal lowers. Why?

#2 Post by Rusty'sMom »

That is a good question, because the metal lowers are certainly visible...My ortho just did them that way, I just went along with the plan without questioning it. I wonder if there is a reason. The ceramic uppers did cost me an extra $300, so is it maybe to contain cost?
[Image
[/url]]

[Image
[/url]]

hydr0

#3 Post by hydr0 »

I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers also. I didn't really get an explanation...that's just how they do it. Maybe they break more? I asked for ceramic on top and bottom, and she said they didn't do it that way. I wish they did, because I'm on day 2 and the ceramic ones hurt the inside of my mouth SO much less than the metal ones :cry:
Female, 30, USA. Clarity uppers, metal lowers. Left upper premolar extracted 3/20/12, Brace Day 3/28/12, left central incisor extraction 7/30/12. Sentenced to 30 months.

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

The glue for the ceramics is harder than for the metal. So if for some reason your top teeth were hitting the bottom ceramics they would be damaged long before the ceramic moved. As opposed to the metals, which give way without damaging your teeth. That comes from my original ortho. He also told me that when ceramics first came out the glue was so strong that upon removal they would take enamel off with them.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

wildpig

#5 Post by wildpig »

Could also be cost containment. The private ortho i went to would ve done that. He said the lower brackets not visible as much. At any rate i went with the local ortho training program and they never say anything about upper ceramic lower metal when i ask for ceramic. The debonding between metal and ceramic might be slightly different but they all work the same.

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

I had the same configuration. It actually takes a little more force to move the lower teeth and metal brackets usually hold up to that force better than ceramics. Also, since other people don't really see your lower teeth as much as your upper teeth, you can save some money by only having ceramics on the uppers.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

nifer237

#7 Post by nifer237 »

I had the same as well...And my metal bottoms went on 3 months prior, but he explained why that was. I think it's because the bottoms aren't that visible and it may have something to do with cost. I didn't mind, but they never really explained why that was the procedure.

kellyb

#8 Post by kellyb »

i have ceramics on both arches. i wasn't even given the choice of metal, not that i wanted it. my lowers were fitted 10 weeks before my uppers as the ortho needed to make room for the uppers to move

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

auco99

#9 Post by auco99 »

To reiterate some previous points, I was told that ceramics on the bottom were more likely to break, and were also more likely to chip my upper teeth. I currently have ceramic uppers and am supposed to get metal lowers on the bottom soon. I am going to revisit the "why can't I have ceramic lowers" topic with my ortho on my next visit. I don't think she will change her mind. However, if I am going to be wearing bite turbos anyway, which I expect, I don't understand why the concern of chipping my uppers is an issue. I don't care about the cost. At first I wasn't concerned about metal lowers, but I've come to see that my lowers are much more visible than I thought when I speak, and I really would rather have the ceramics. Don't think it will happen though.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

udubdave

#10 Post by udubdave »

I was told it was because the ceramics could damage the top teeth if they hit them while biting. I wanted ceramics on both but my dentist told me I couldn't, so I got metal on the bottom.

Noni

#11 Post by Noni »

I got the ceramic on my top and metal in the lower , as all said the lower is less visible than the top.
I wanted to have all ceramic but my ortho didn't recommend that and he said that metal are stronger and more effective and will work faster !!

Quad Helix Expander and Braces to correct unilateral posterioor crossbite (TMJ treatment ). 6 months
Braces journey : 11 months 3 weeks (from 12 march 2012 to 3 march 2013)
My Story and Progress Update

DorkieDiva

#12 Post by DorkieDiva »

Not that I have ceramics, but my ortho said she does ceramic uppers and metal lowers b/c of the potential damage to the upper teeth. She doesn't even give patients the option. She also doesn't charge more for ceramics. Whenever I tell people that she doesn't charge more they always ask why I didn't get ceramics and I have to tell them b/c I drink red wine about once a month so my ortho said no.

Goofy

#13 Post by Goofy »

I was also told it was to protect the backs of my upper front teeth - my lowers are too close and ceramic brackets would have chipped them. I keep pushing for ceramics because my lower teeth are still quite visible when I talk, but my ortho won't budge.

Interestingly, when I asked what would stain the ceramics, my ortho said smoking, tea / coffee, and definitely curry, but in his opinion red wine did not stain. Thank goodness for that! (And we now save curry for the night before my appts).

Nancita

#14 Post by Nancita »

Thanks for all this info! I have the ceramic uppers too and havent gotten my lowers put in. I have no clue what they will be putting in hope is ceramics ones too. Guess I should ask!

nifer237

#15 Post by nifer237 »

I'm pretty tough on mine, but still careful, and haven't had any issues yet...my upper ceramics that is. There are a few things that I shouldn't be eating, I'll be honest. :|

So I think they're pretty sturdy, ceramics.