day one and i am hungry

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nogoingback

day one and i am hungry

#1 Post by nogoingback »

ok so on soft foods and want to know when i can actually eat something that is not soft or liquidy. and why do my teeth feel so itchy????
[/url]

klobird

Re: day one and i am hungry

#2 Post by klobird »

OHHH Itchy!! I remember that! It will drive you nuts for a few days,then it goes away--I haven't had itchy in forever!!

I had chicken teriyaki about an hour after getting my braces on--probably wasn't the best idea...
How about fish and chips, those turkey-stuffing-potatoes TV dinner things, lasagna, soft bread (torn into small pieces), asparagus with cheese melted on it (I'm not a cook--I go for the easiest!), ummmm, hmmm, tuna sandwich (soft bread) or thin sliced ham. I thought eating steak was a joke--not any more!! :HugeGrin:

The only things I just won't eat yet are popcorn, hard candy, toffee, or my absolute favorite--Twix candy bars. I probably could on the Twix, but I'm not totally comfortable with caramel yet--although I have had some.

Just remember--small bites--and make sure you carry a small mirror with you to use after you eat--you will be surprised at what you didn't know was all hung up in your braces! :soremouth:

hydr0

#3 Post by hydr0 »

I'm just over a week in. I ate soft foods only for the first 3 or 4 days - mashed potatoes and macaroni & cheese mostly. Now I'm eating almost everything - cut into smaller pieces of course. Haven't tried biting into anything except for a piece of swiss cheese today (success!). It will get better, I promise.
Female, 30, USA. Clarity uppers, metal lowers. Left upper premolar extracted 3/20/12, Brace Day 3/28/12, left central incisor extraction 7/30/12. Sentenced to 30 months.

lambchop

#4 Post by lambchop »

Soup's a good bet, and I ate a bunch of chili over rice (some folks say rice is evil, but since you're going to be cleaning all that stuff out of your brackets anyway...). Meatloaf and mashed potatoes are great, and fish does work out well. Pasta always gives me a hard time (Still! After 8 months!...I have molar build-ups...) but eggs and smoothies are easy.

udubdave

#5 Post by udubdave »

I tried eating eggs and rice right after I had my braces put in, and it didn't work out so well. Then I tried soup with chunks of meat and veggies, that didn't work out so well either. I found mashed potatoes and mac and cheese to be the best thing to eat while you're still adjusting to the braces.

nogoingback

#6 Post by nogoingback »

aggggghhhhhh! :( ok so now the teeth are all hurting and i can not chew. can i live on soup forever???? thanks for all of the suggestions guys i will be trying them out next week although definitely can only do the soft baby food type stuff. i fear i will start losing weight which will be baaaaddddd as i am very slim anyway and don't want to look like i have a real eating disorder. but i guess if all the teeth are painful it must mean that something is happening eh? i guess i'll just keep myself entertained by looking in the mirror again an again to look for some sort of movement and drive myself crazy when all i see is the same teeth in the same place they were a day ago. :-+ i must stop thinking about them so much as i am only on day 3.
[/url]

wildpig

#7 Post by wildpig »

Relax ;) you not going to be living on soup. the pain will go away within 1 wk. Just take some pain med for now and cut all the meat up into small bits. By the end of the wk you will be eating just about everything that's not hard.

You won't see any definite movement for at least 3 wks.

udubdave

#8 Post by udubdave »

It's been about a week and a half for me and now I'm able to start chewing again, albiet very soft foods. I was able to eat soup with chunks of steak in it as long as I mashed the piece of steak with my back molars. Little progress, I guess...

ashenk224

#9 Post by ashenk224 »

I was in the same position as you were when I got mine on. It's been just about two weeks and I can eat just about everything as long as I don't take big bites. I haven't tried crunchy/sticky food or popcorn yet. But take some ibuprofen and take it easy for a few days and I promise it will go away. Good luck!

Estimated length of treatment: 26 months
Current Debanding Date: 5/28/2014

nogoingback

#10 Post by nogoingback »

Well guys I have not been too brave and am stuck on soup. Few problems with wire coming out of the bracket already so am going tomorrow. Is this common? I have ceramics top and bottom and my first lower molars are literally only just hanging on. On the plus side lots of movement! My top front six have gaps between them and I can sort of whistle through them which is mildly amusing. I hate brushing all the time and know that it's putting me off eating. So i am shrinking. Will investigate those meal supplement drinks to keep me going until real food is back on!
[/url]

Sita

#11 Post by Sita »

nogoingback wrote:Few problems with wire coming out of the bracket already so am going tomorrow. Is this common?
You mean sticking out the back and needing to be trimmed? Then yes, normal. I had to go in twice in the first two weeks to get mine trimmed and once again last week.

For the first two days of my braces I had liquids only. Fruit smoothies, soup and vegetable juice. For about a week and a half after that I stuck to mac and cheese, porridge, stewed apples, weetbix (soaked in lots of soy milk first), scrambled eggs, fish and chips and pasta. I then moved up to stuff that required a little more chewing. Still avoiding some stuff since my teeth are still a bit sore from time to time but mostly back to a normal diet. I have found all the restrictions quite easy since most of the stuff they don't want me to eat I didn't eat anyway. And I hadn't bitten into an apple in years because of the pain so chopping them up is nothing new. I miss raw carrots though. Grated carrot just isn't the same.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

nogoingback

#12 Post by nogoingback »

Hey sita. pokey wire is still there. it was the actual bracket the wire was loose from but all sorted now. Re.carrots i have a whole load in the fridge and am gonna juice them might throw in a few apples as even chopped up I'm not brave enough to attempt them! Stewed apple sounds good too.
[/url]