Getting out early

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brucebadonde

Getting out early

#1 Post by brucebadonde »

Hello. I am looking for some advice on how to shorten my brace duration, maybe even quit. I had an eight tooth brace fitted nine weeks ago on the top - with very sharp and uncomfortable ceramic white brackets which were majorly unexpected - I thought they would be smooth and rounded little bumps...
Anyway I have struggled badly to adjust to these and the whole experience has made me very stressed - in fact it is a possible contributor to a current high blood pressure situation.
However, the results on my teeth have been excellent: problem was front two big teeth, right one was pushed back and left one pushed forward, and now they are within a hairsbreadth of being level (after being about 2mm overlapped).
I still have at least until early December to go according to the initial 9 month estimate but with regards to stress and BP problems I really think it is in my health interests to look for an exit strategy.
And ideas, advice or recommendations? Could I go Invisalign now for just a few hundred extra? Should I get the solid wire fitted as soon as the teeth are level? (I think they will be in about two weeks). Maybe getting BP sorted is more important than persevering with the braces at all?
PS next appointment is 6th July.

Thanks.

BellaBraces

Re: Getting out early

#2 Post by BellaBraces »

There's some kind of vibrating attachment thing that you can wear for 20 mins a day to speed up the process. Can't remember what it is called but your ortho may know about it.

It would be a shame to waste all the progress.

jem

#3 Post by jem »

Hey Bruce,

You must have spent a lot of money on your brace ( which sounds to be very similar to mine). Get loads of wax on it and hang on in there. You are seeing progress and it will get easier . 9 months is not all that long. I think I will be looking at about the same length of time.

You will probably find yourself equally stressed if you do not see your orthodontic treatment through and end up with a poor result and a load of money down the drain as well.

Why not book a talking appointment with your ortho to discuss your issues?

Perhaps another partial solution might be to make yourself so busy doing other things ( sport, hobby, charitable activity,whatever) that you don't have time for your brace to worry you. Distraction always works well for me!

I hope you manage to make progress with your BP problem. It is obviously a serious issue, but it will still be there if you have your brace removed.

Best of luck and keep us posted

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

brucebadonde

#4 Post by brucebadonde »

Thanks for the replies.
One further question though: what happens when my teeth are finally straight? I think they fit a different type of wire to start the setting process.
I think my teeth will be straight in maybe 2 weeks but I don't have another appointment for 6.5 weeks - should I schedule another check as soon as I think they are straight?

I don't want to waste 4 weeks with no progress - it's a significant portion of my nine months.

Cheers.

jem

#5 Post by jem »

Patience is not a quality I am renowned for but it seems to be essential to get through the braces process. I am sure the time we are given between appointments is not just random, so hang in there until your next adjustment and you will see progress.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

southernbelle

#6 Post by southernbelle »

BellaBraces wrote:There's some kind of vibrating attachment thing that you can wear for 20 mins a day to speed up the process. Can't remember what it is called but your ortho may know about it.

It would be a shame to waste all the progress.
The "vibrating attachement" is called AcceleDent. My ortho offered it to me for $1,500 at once. I turned it down because I couldn't afford it. I think it would be great for someone just starting treatment, but it could be a lot of money for someone nearing the end.
Upper InVu Ceramic, lower metal, est. treatment time 24-30 months

April 10th- Round 1 of Spacers
April 24th- Brackets were installed
May 9th- Second round of Spacers
May 23rd- Archwires and Pendulum Appliance installed
July 9th- 1st Adjustment

CoryDaniels

#7 Post by CoryDaniels »

The thing you have to remember is just because your teeth look straight doesn't mean they will stay that way. Once your teeth move into the desired location, the bone and root still have to move and settle because if you get them off early, the teeth could go right back to where they were. patients is a virtue.

nifer237

#8 Post by nifer237 »

Trust me, I'm dying to get out early too, but I'm sticking it out. It goes by quickly, you just have to endure it. I'm thankful I'm not one of those who had to get them on twice in life or for more than 2 years. I know it's all for the greater good, so I just keep on trucking. It does get easier.

brucebadonde

#9 Post by brucebadonde »

Thanks for replies again.
Definitely a quandary to be in. Obviously I am a bit stressed thinking I've just overloaded myself with burdens this year - I've just booked a holiday for the end of June, I'm under investigation for blood pressure issues, work as always and topped off with my brace. I also think the brace is where I am focussing all my problems and, in theory, it is the only thing I can get rid of!
I know I need to see my Ortho again for guidance but it is nice to offload concerns here. Obviously I am not going to find anyone here who decided to quit their braces and I do wonder what sort of reaction I would get from my Ortho if I wanted to.
I don't want to get rid of them yet but I would like some options as I indicated in my first post. Maybe the ones on the caninies can come off as these are the ones troubling me
To be honest I feel very weak and pathetic having so much trouble with these when many others have much more extensive treatment.

Thanks