Worse before it gets better?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hydr0

Worse before it gets better?

#1 Post by hydr0 »

I'm coming up on my 3 month adjustment next week. Because of my overbite, my ortho did not put brackets on three of my bottom front teeth. She wants to get my upper arch moved forward and extract the middle of the three teeth before putting brackets on the other two.

What's upsetting me right now is just how much worse my three un-bracketed bottom teeth have gotten! They used to be somewhat straight, albeit a little crowded. Things are looking much worse now, and it's very discouraging! My upper arch has moved out of the way nicely, but one of the teeth has moved so far forward that I don't know how a bracket will fit between it and my top teeth. I'm sure this is due to my spring (covered in wax in the second photo), but I'm still concerned.

Any thoughts or encouragement? Experiences with teeth getting worse before they get better?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Female, 30, USA. Clarity uppers, metal lowers. Left upper premolar extracted 3/20/12, Brace Day 3/28/12, left central incisor extraction 7/30/12. Sentenced to 30 months.

Sita

Re: Worse before it gets better?

#2 Post by Sita »

Awwwwwww..... *hugs* I feel your pain. Have braces to fix spacing problems and you should see the mess of spaces in my mouth right now. Way worse than when the braces went on. It's normal for your teeth to get worse before they get better. Doesn't mean we have to like it though. I did have the dental therapist check my teeth when I got my wires clipped and she assured me that everything was working the way it should so that was good. Perhaps you should have them check that everything is okay? Might help ease your mind a little. Good luck!

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

purpleandteal

#3 Post by purpleandteal »

Try not to wory too much, as Sita said, if you are worried its not as it should be, then get the ortho to check. but as the old saying goes, sometimes things have got to get worse before they get better. Im very new to being a brace face, so i cant say from experience, but from what I read it is common for things to look a bit worse at first. I do understand your concern, I know that if mine start seeming worse, I'll probably be writing the exact same sort of post! Instead of focusing on the bit you are unhappy with, think instead about the positive changes so far, sometimes a change in perspective really helps

kennyandrew85

#4 Post by kennyandrew85 »

If you have any crowding then it's pretty likely things always get worse before they get better.

I've had gaps opened and closed all over my mouth including my 2 front teeth!
Currently one of my front teeth is a little further forward than the other, it never used to be!
But no big deal I know it's all part of the master plan.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

margarets

#5 Post by margarets »

Three months is very early days, so yeah, things could get worse before they get better. I have a space opening up between two of my teeth, which is not the final result I want, but a necessary step along the way. Discuss your concerns with your ortho, he/she should be able to explain their plan.

On another thread I commented that moving teeth is a bit like re-arranging furniture. Sometimes you have to move the couch into the dining room so you can set up the entertainment centre, then move it back.