Help! Advice needed on progress

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thunderbolt

Help! Advice needed on progress

#1 Post by thunderbolt »

Hi everyone, this is my first post but after years of following the forum I decided to take the plunge and get "6 month braces" 9 months ago. Long story short, my ortho wanted to take my brace off five weeks ago but I was nowhere near happy with the results. I've lost all confidence in him to be honest. I had one crooked front tooth which was receding behind the tooth beside it (all other teeth were pretty much perfectly aligned). As of now my two front teeth are nowhere near flush. A pic I took this morning is here - Image

I was so distressed after my appointment yesterday when he moved the bracket on the good, straight front tooth (my right one, left looking in at the pic), to try and fill in the gap BUT......the crooked tooth (my left front tooth, on the right looking in at the pic) is still, and will be, crooked!!

Am I being too picky? Advice would be great.

Thanks everyone.

nikkibabie19

Re: Help! Advice needed on progress

#2 Post by nikkibabie19 »

I dont think you're being picky.

I think if you are paying your money for a service then you should get what you paid for. Simple as that.

If you are unhappy with the result AND there is something that the ortho CAN do to fix it then i think you should bring it to his attention that you are not satisfied.

Plain and Simple

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

kennyandrew85

#3 Post by kennyandrew85 »

looking at your gumline, I would say your front teeth are actually well aligned but the shapes of your teeth are obviously making them look off.

I'm obviously not qualified to suggest what you need but I would *think* you need bonding on your smaller of the 2 front teeth so that it matches the other and then it will look flush.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

thunderbolt

#4 Post by thunderbolt »

Thanks nikkibabie19, I agree. It's just so damn frustrating when they move sooo slowly!! :(

Cheers kennyandrew85. I've attached another pic. I see what you're saying but I think the tooth looks smaller because it's actually not flush/straight i.e. it's rotated away from the straight tooth. What do you think with this second pic where you can see how it's slanting backwards?

I think that when it's rotated it will be flush with the other tooth (I hope!)

thunderbolt

#5 Post by thunderbolt »

PS. apologies for the brown on my teeth...damn coffee!! Can't wait to get them cleaned!! :-p

OldBikerBag

#6 Post by OldBikerBag »

How about a pic from the angle showing the arch itself? Open your mouth and take the pic from the direction of your chin. That might be a better guage of whether the teeth are straight or not...?
385 Days in Damon Braces

thunderbolt

#7 Post by thunderbolt »

Apologies again for the staining :-*

The tooth on the left of this pic is the crooked one. You can see that it's still slightly receding behind the lateral incisor

smilehope

#8 Post by smilehope »

I reckon I agree with Kennyandrew. Looks straight to me - just the lower edge / shape causing the appearance.
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

thunderbolt

#9 Post by thunderbolt »

It's funny because the arch looks fine but aesthetically it's still crooked (see pic 2 - the tooth is going back at an angle) If you follow the bottom of the good tooth in pic one across horizontally, when you get to the "bad" tooth, it goes back at an angle. Hmph :(

thunderbolt

#10 Post by thunderbolt »

Here's another pic - you can see that (aesthetically) it's not flush with the straight tooth beside it....the left corner is raised and then it is bent backwards (it looks like the tooth is smaller but it's the angle at which it's rotated at)

Marktee

#11 Post by Marktee »

For what its worth, I am a newbie, I don't know anything about teeth but at first glance yours looked really good.

Often we get so obsessed with things that other people don't even notice.

Good luck anyway mate.

thunderbolt

#12 Post by thunderbolt »

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your feedback. I'll see how I get on, feel very disheartened as my two front teeth aren't flush and there's an inconsistent gap between them. I'll see how I get on and post my results when I have the brace off.

whiteswan

#13 Post by whiteswan »

I see what you mean...particularly in that last picture. But since that tooth is either chipped or ground down at an angle anyway, it will probably need bonding. Maybe it is something that can be easily covered up when it is bonded?