Very sharp pain caused by mouthwash after an adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracesBlueKK

Very sharp pain caused by mouthwash after an adjustment

#1 Post by BracesBlueKK »

Today/Yesterday I had an archwire appointment where they gave me stronger wires and also placed a powerchain on the front, top four teeth.

So just a few minutes ago I had just finished brushing my teeth, and the first two teeth on the bottom right side behind the canine (premolars?) were quite a bit more tender than the other teeth. I didn't think much of it, but then I used my mouthwash (I've been using this brand for 2 months now with no issue) and I got a sudden, sharp, rather severe pain in the two teeth I mentioned earlier. Those two teeth, particularly the tooth closest to the canine are also pretty tender to the touch. My appointment was at 11:30am today, and my teeth didn't start feeling tender until 9:30pm-10:15pm. Even then the tenderness (other than those two teeth) was pretty mild.

I ate lunch and dinner with no problem, and I also drank warm tea with no issues. Could my over-aggressive ( :-* ) eating have caused this reaction?

Is this pain normal? Could it be a cavity or fractured tooth? (I have thin enamel- Mild to moderate enamel hypoplasia. So I get cavities pretty easy, no matter my brushing and eating habits. Apparently my teeth are also more prone to fracture).

Is the pain from the mouthwash just due to the adjustment and the movement and thus possible swelling of my gums?

I'm a little bit worried here, and was just wondering if this has happened to others.

PS: The mouthwash is --> Scope Duel Blast- Fresh Mint Blast flavor

Thanks for the help guys! :D

EDIT:
It is the second premolar(?) that is the most tender. Not the first! My mistake, I'm wearing elastics and at first I was just feeling around with my finger, not looking in a mirror.

Also, I gargled with some hot water from my shower, and this did NOT cause any pain.

OldBikerBag

Re: Very sharp pain caused by mouthwash after an adjustment

#2 Post by OldBikerBag »

Sounds like temporary gum sensitivity to me.
385 Days in Damon Braces