I am so impatient!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lillypad

I am so impatient!

#1 Post by Lillypad »

Three weeks in and not a millimeter of movement (at least to the naked eye)! My kids laugh at me and tell me it's a "process"...one they have experienced (although didn't appreciate, therefore, didn't wear their retainers). I am convinced I am the only human ever that braces will not work for! And I have one tooth in the back that I swear could fall out any minute. It feels like loose teeth did as a kid and if I could get my finger in there without jabbing it with a wire, I'd be wiggling it just like if I were 6! Patience has never been my strong point. I'm thinking the docs estimate of 8-12 months may be wishful thinking.....oh well. Thanks for letting me vent. My family's sick of braces talk.

Sita

Re: I am so impatient!

#2 Post by Sita »

Awwww... unless your teeth are fused to your jaw, which x-rays would have revealed, then they will move. Unless your teeth were already loose it takes at least three weeks for the bone to break down and your teeth to start moving. If you have strong bones then it could take longer. And of cause the initial wires are not that strong. Their main purpose is to wake the teeth up. At least that is my understanding.

Only two of my teeth did any real moving in the first eight weeks and that was only because they were already slightly loose. The rest of my teeth loosened up a bit and there was some minor movement which was not visible. I only knew because it was harder to floss between some of my teeth as they were closer together. The real movement started with a stronger wire and powerchains.

So I guess you just have to learn to be patient. Trust me, it will pay off in the end.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

nikkibabie19

#3 Post by nikkibabie19 »

dont be discouraged... i was just like u....(i am only a week ahead)

And i tort nothing was moving until i looked at my day one pics and then present day pics..

The movement was VERY small i think only i and my ortho can see it but ITS THERE so i am happy...

We have a saying locally "A watch pot never boils"

Idk if u know what it means but i'll explain anyways: IT means basically, that if u keep watching/ paying attention , obsessing over things, they will never seem to happen/occur"

So just forget about it a while, then take a look and u'd be surprise at the changes....

Stay strong :D
Chao

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

shekhinak

#4 Post by shekhinak »

I thought exactly the same thing - that my teeth would never move! When I had the lower braces put on (January 3rd of this year) they said, "You'll see the teeth move FAST!" Yeah, right...

The movement wasn't quite as fast as had been promised, but yes, the teeth did indeed move. I likewise thought I was the only person in history for whom braces wouldn't work :wink:

Angel269

#5 Post by Angel269 »

I'm 10 days in and have seen a gap starting to appear at the side as my diastema is closing. My teeth feel wobbly, especially a back tooth and it looks like slowly there is some progress.

I too have a short treatment timeframe of around 8-9 months.

Hang on in there, you will see some movement.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

jem

#6 Post by jem »

Hi Lillypad,

My estimate was 6-9 months and I am now 6 months in with a fair amount of movement still needed. I saw very little movement in my first 3 months, but my ortho remained upbeat. My teeth have been gradually unscrambling since the 3 month point. The only dramatic movement I have seen has been with powerchains ( which I have had since 4.5 months) closing IPR spaces virtually overnight.

I may well go over the 9 month mark but I don't think by too much. Estimates are presumably only based on the length of time a particular treatment plan typically takes. So for some of us it will be a bit longer or a bit shorter. Would I have been happier now if my ortho had originally said 6-12 months? I don't know.

So hang in there. Your estimate will probably be about right. You WILL see movement in time. As Shekhinak says, it is funny how so many of us have thought that braces would not work for us.

Good luck

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

auco99

#7 Post by auco99 »

If your teeth feel loose, they are already moving. Watch the wires, not the teeth. That's where you see the movement first.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

xanidu2012

#8 Post by xanidu2012 »

Auco99 is absolutely right. I haven't been braced 2 months yet and my teeth are so loose; some are so sore it hurts to brush; some are tight I can't floss. But don't look at the teeth watch the wire. My wires are no longer straight. The upper and lower wires look like a crooked fence :lol: . So hang in there movement is definitely on the way.

LewisS

#9 Post by LewisS »

It's only been two days and I've been expecting huge changes. I'm constantly looking in the mirror...I should just accept that this is going to take a little longer than I thought! xD

tcali

#10 Post by tcali »

I am also constantly checking for movement...and it's only day 2...wishful thinking! Slowly but surely we will have movement soon!

CoryDaniels

#11 Post by CoryDaniels »

the best thing I have found to do is to not look alot. Its better to wait a couple of weeks and then look. I was having a spacing issue and I stopped looking at it, and about a month later, I looked, and the space is 95% gone. I am 11.5 months into my treatment and I think from here on out, its gonna be VERY slow movement...unlike my first 3 months where everything was moving like crazy.

furious george

#12 Post by furious george »

I am like 10 weeks in and I didn't think my teeth were moving much either. But it turns out the changes are subtle.

Weird changes. Like my two front teeth were slightly different lengths and now they're the same? Like my canines are rotating or lengthening? Like I had a way tall ocean bottom tooth and now it's almost the same height and less ocean?

I was looking for closing gaps, but it seems like there are other small things changing for the time being.

I will be a lot happier when I finally get elastics and heavier archwires and powerchains, though. I'm most looking for to seeing gaps close and my overjet start to diminish.
Female, Age 37
Braced: 6/13/12
GAC In-Ovation C Top, Metal Bottom
Initial Estimated sentence: 12-14 months
SENTENCE EXTENDED: 18 months

furious george

#13 Post by furious george »

It changed the word c.o.c.k.e.d to ocean. WTF? LOL.
Female, Age 37
Braced: 6/13/12
GAC In-Ovation C Top, Metal Bottom
Initial Estimated sentence: 12-14 months
SENTENCE EXTENDED: 18 months

Kipepeo

#14 Post by Kipepeo »

furious george wrote:It changed the word c.o.c.k.e.d to ocean. WTF? LOL.
Haha! I'm sorry, I just had to laugh at this. I was trying to figure what it meant for your teeth be way tall ocean! I know I'm older, but come on!

I have nothing to add to the actual thread!