How long do fixed retainers usually last for?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

franco

How long do fixed retainers usually last for?

#1 Post by franco »

My question is really about the quality and how resilient they are, rather than how long I have to wear them for. The glue has come off of my upper and lower ones a few times in the last 3 years. I believe this might be down to the orthodontist I was seeing in the UK being in a rush in his busy practice and not taking the time to make sure the quality was good.

I am thinking of going elsewhere and paying more to have fixed retainers put in, but I am wondering what are the chances that I will have the same problem?? Could I pay hundreds for a fixed retainer, but have the glue look terrible after a few months, and then bite into a certain food and have them come loose, thus requiring hundreds more?

When I seen a dentist he did criticise my orthodontist's work and said that there was far too much glue and that if they had been put on properly they would probably last for years. But I doubt any orthodontist is going to give a guarantee of this.

I am hoping that there is some explanation as to why the fixed retainers I have had in the past have come loose so easily, otherwise I will be getting them replaced every few months forever. It's driving me mad. :crazy:

MetalManda

Re: How long do fixed retainers usually last for?

#2 Post by MetalManda »

The day I got my fixed retainer put on, the glue came off on one tooth. I have since been back to have it fixed only to have the same thing happen and am now left with a huge lump of glue just wriggling around on the end of the wire retainer grr.
I will be going back next week to get it fixed and hopefully it stays on this time.
So im not sure how long they last but my experience is not long at all!