Alcohol

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Harassment Panda

Alcohol

#1 Post by Harassment Panda »

My brace day is next Thursday and I was wondering about drinking alcohol with braces I have not seen much about it since most people who get braces are under drinking age. Anyway, I'm a student and consume quite a bit and also leaving to visit friends in Dundee two days after I get braced and plan to drink. Is it okay to drink alcohol and if so is it safe to do it so shortly after I get braced?

Thanks!

nikkibabie19

Re: Alcohol

#2 Post by nikkibabie19 »

there isnt any rule that says u cant drink alcohol while in braces...

Most people i kno with braces are 18+ which is my country 18 is the legal drinking age so :D

Bottom's up

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

CountessDeSangre

#3 Post by CountessDeSangre »

The only thing I can think of would be if you are taking any pills to deal with pain of a recent adjustment or just getting braced. Like if you took an Advil it's not recommended to drink then because pain pills and alcohol can cause stomach bleeding.

But if you don't take any kind of meds then CHUG CHUG CHUG!

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

batwing

#4 Post by batwing »

CountessDeSangre wrote:The only thing I can think of would be if you are taking any pills to deal with pain of a recent adjustment or just getting braced. Like if you took an Advil it's not recommended to drink then because pain pills and alcohol can cause stomach bleeding.

But if you don't take any kind of meds then CHUG CHUG CHUG!
This! :thumbsup:

If you like to drink anything really cold, like a Margarita or a frosty beer, your teeth might be more sensitive.

I'll also throw in there that with braces, depending on how much your bite is adjusted, you might be prone to drool and lisp. So if you're going to drink, you might drool and lisp, but it won't look too out of place :wink:
Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014

eric1122

#5 Post by eric1122 »

My orthodontist never gave me any specific rules when it came to drinking. For my personal tastes I stick to just beer whenever I want something to drink. Since they told me from the very beginning to avoid any soda pop, I also avoid any sugary alcoholic drinks. They kind of fit into that same category.

starfish88

#6 Post by starfish88 »

I planned to avoid all sugary alcohol but since I HATE beer and am too fussy about wine all I'm left with is ocean! (hee hee). I just order a glass of water too and swish when I'm done to get rid of some of the sugar. Bonus - drinking water inbetween alcoholic drinks means you don't get such a bad hangover the next day either.

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

luckyteeth

#7 Post by luckyteeth »

I love wine, and Lord knows I love a good Sangria. However, seeing as how I have clear elastic ties, I'm going to avoid wine due to fear of staining. That, or get comfortable with the idea of using a straw with my wine. How lame! :-(

hydr0

#8 Post by hydr0 »

I've switched to white wine, with the occasional red wine the last couple of days before an adjustment, when I'm getting a lig change anyway.

Braces don't hold me back from eating or drinking pretty much anything.
Female, 30, USA. Clarity uppers, metal lowers. Left upper premolar extracted 3/20/12, Brace Day 3/28/12, left central incisor extraction 7/30/12. Sentenced to 30 months.

Realizingadream

#9 Post by Realizingadream »

I do enjoy an Amaretto once in a while. :P

Now that I have finished another college final (two hours, on line) and have another 3 more final exams to go but not tonight, I do believe I will have a wee drop of Amaretto. :P :P

It seems I am in my second childhood, in braces (at last), and in college full time (at last), and at the advanced age of... well, really old. :huh:

So on the bright side I am definitely over the legal age for alcohol: so here goes! Yes I will brush afterwards. Since I am home, I will probably drink it through a straw anyway. Look away if you must.

Real.