Pre molar extraction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lizzie365

Pre molar extraction

#1 Post by Lizzie365 »

I've just got back from the dentist after having a lower pre molar removed as my ortho said it needed to be removed to make room to straighten my bottom teeth.

I'm not having my lower braces put on until my top ones are in line (at the moment ones behind the other, ortho is concentrating on making room and bringing the back one forward). So I don't think they will be on for at least another 6 months. But I just wanted to get the extraction out the way as I hate them and I'd just stress myself out knowing I was waiting for it to happen.

I just hope it's all worth it, else I've had a perfectly healthy tooth removed for no reason! People normally get braces pretty much straight after an extraction but I'm going to have to wait months :(

Stargirlxx

Re: Pre molar extraction

#2 Post by Stargirlxx »

Don't do it!!! I let my ortho extract 2 upper premolars against my better judgement. I regret this decision big time. Do your research on all the problems extraction causes...

Lizzie365

#3 Post by Lizzie365 »

Bit late considering its already been done..

And if I ever want straight bottom teeth (which I do) I'd needed to have that tooth removed as it wasn't in my arch, it was sticking out twisted at a funny angle. When I was having consultations both the orthos I saw said that tooth would need to be removed.

I wouldn't have had it taken out if I didn't trust my ortho, and if my dentist didn't think it needed to be done to achieve the result I want he certainly would have refused to remove it as it was perfectly healthy.

JumpTheDitch

#4 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Extractions are a very topical issue; I dont think anyone can really assess whether they are warranted without extensive functional ortho training, along with actually viewing the teeth, jaws & head in question!

I personally deeply regret my upper bicuspid extractions, and the subsequent retraction which im now trying to reverse.

Whether they're warranted or not aside, I wouldnt rely on your dentist to counter an ortho's extraction request simply because the teeth were healthy. My dentist referred me to my ortho, clearly he felt orthodontic issues were the realm of the ortho. He certainly didnt air any opinions on whether that ortho was correct or not in ordering two healthy teeth pulled, he just popped them out as directed & sent me on my merry way. I truly wish he hadnt, but I cant realistically put the burden of reasonable behaviour on the dentist. The ortho ordered extractions, the dentist complied. Whether it's right or wrong, I dont think it's the dentist's role to question or approve of the ortho's treatment plan...

rhibee83

#5 Post by rhibee83 »

I had 4 premolars removed, 2 top, 2 bottom, I have overcrowding but not that much, also have an overbite. Two of the premolars were baby teeth and were removed as they were decaying, so therefore the other two on the other side had to come out. I dont have my braces on yet but I will in 2 weeks, and I have an upper lingual arch on to stop my top molars from moving forward into the extraction holes and creating a bigger overbite. The ortho will move my top front teeth BACK into the gap while the molar stays put, and I am assuming the molars on the bottom will be moved FORWARD into the gaps along with the bottom teeth moving back as well, to create an even bite.

I have big gaps and I too worry that I have done the wrong thing, but then I think it will be ok in the end as the majority of people I have spoken to who have had braces have had the same 4 teeth removed and I feel it is a very common thing.

I wouldn't worry to much, but maybe ask your ortho if it is ok to have the gaps without an appliance for 6 months as your teeth my shift with the gaps.

Good luck with it all :)

rhibee83

#6 Post by rhibee83 »

My ortho also referred me to the dentist to get my teeth out, the dentist didn't say anything about it being wrong to take the teeth out and basically agreed with the Ortho. Even if the dentist did not agree, I would not let a dentist discision over rule an orthondist discision when it came to taking teeth out as the Ortho would know better, you would think!

kennyandrew85

#7 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I had 4 teeth out, my face is fine if not improved slightly, I found this forum over 2 years after googling the procedure and reading horror stories everywhere.

Unfortunately you hear stories of it going wrong... it's probably not the extractions but more the method of which they retract teeth after the extractions that causes facial changes, for example if they are pulled back too far and not allowed to move forward a bit also then of course it may not be the right result.

Also, you're going to be heavily outnumbered by people with bad stories on the internet as people with good results tend to never visit this website anymore once the braces are off, after all why would you keep coming on here to tell people your teeth are still looking good?

You'd just get on with your life right?

I feel bad for people who haven't had good results, but I also don't like it when they generalise that all extractions are bad when really they aren't.

The simple fact is, some people don't have room for all the teeth and others just have very large teeth, which is why they have crowding in the first place.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Bikerchick85

#8 Post by Bikerchick85 »

I had four premolars extracted for crowding. I wavered back and forth with my decision too. It's totally normal to feel that way! I looked at your pics and IMO you won't even know that tooth is missing when you're finished with treatment. You have some serious crowding there. More so than me.
I agree with Kenny that the reason you hear so many horror stories is because people who are dissatisfied with their treatment are going to let others know about it. I read all the good and bad things and made my decision and I am happy with it. I am greatly sympathetic to others who are not satisfied with their treatment, & I appreciate their input.
I think the reason things go wrong with extractions sometimes is because the ortho only retracts teeth when it's not necessary. My ortho is giving me full control over how much retraction we do. When I am happy with that, she will start moving molars forward.
I do plan on following up after my treatment with many photos and profile shots so others can see a positive extraction case.
Good luck with your treatment! You will find tons of support on this forum! :)

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

sirwired

#9 Post by sirwired »

Certainly extractions can be used poorly. But saying "Don't ever agree to extractions!" is like saying "Don't ever have surgery because you might have a bad reaction to anesthesia!"

If there isn't enough space in the arch, there isn't enough space in the arch. There is no "magic" way to grow more bone; not with over-hyped fancy brackets, not with exotic appliances, etc. An orthodontist that never extracts teeth is simply refusing to use all the tools at his/her disposal that are sometimes needed to obtain a proper result. Such a dentist is making just as much of a mistake as one that extracts teeth just to shorten treatment time a few months, or because they want to avoid doing some complicated work.

rhibee83

#10 Post by rhibee83 »

it is so nice to hear some GOOD stories about teeth extractions :GapToothed:

JillD

#11 Post by JillD »

I am another person who doesn't regret tooth extraction. I am happy with the way my teeth and profile are changing. I have no doubt I wouldn't have this kind of change without extraction.

anarchy45

#12 Post by anarchy45 »

I have the same situation as you - one tooth in front of another. But I refuse to get any teeth pulled just as a matter of principle, so I'm paying a functional orthodontics a bunch of money to expand my arches and squeeze them all in. In just the past 3 days since having my 3rd adjustment (just 1.5 months after starting), one tooth on the top has squeezed into place. The bad canine like yours, is on my lower arch... actually there are two, one on each side. I am both skeptical and optimistic... there is a ~lot~ of space that needs to be made, but my orthodontist is well known, has every certificate imaginable, teaches at NYU, wins awards, yada yada, so I trust him on that. But I'm also skeptical of the 15-18 month estimate he gave me. Probably 2 years, minimum. There is a lot to accomplish, but I wouldn't have it any other way.