Bite issues with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Hhwhiskey

Bite issues with braces

#1 Post by Hhwhiskey »

I have a difficult situation. I am a 26 year old guy and have had braces for a year. I was determined to have a slight overbite and a weak chin. I was originally intending to have Jaw surgery but that fell through because of having to be willing to commit 75% of a `$10k surgery without knowing what my reimbursement would be. My plans at this time are to finish out my braces and then have a chin augmentation to move my chin outward. I have just started elastic bands last month.

Here is my issue: My bite was bad before my braces, but now it's to the point where it's extremely uncomfortable and off my facial midline. I have to pull my lower jaw so far back meet my original bite(upper jaw) that not only do I look ridiculous, but it is physically uncomfortable. What I have realized is that I have a "secondary" bite. If I don't pull my lower jaw back and just bite down naturally, it feels ok and doesn't look half bad either. It's mostly my front teeth touching with slight molar contact in the rear, It's most definitely not a bite I could eat well with. But this is the position I have felt comfortable keeping during the day.

Here is my question: Since this bite is more comfortable and more aesthetically pleasing, wouldn't it be a better idea to fix my teeth to mesh well in this position? I just feel like forcing my teeth to work with my other bite is uncomfortable and going to require much more work. When I went for my surgery consultation, they told me that this "new bite"(Jaw pushed forward) position is what they would achieve with surgery. But this has been achieved simply with elastic bands in 1 month. The problem is my teeth don't mesh up well yet. Is this something anyone has ever heard of before? I didn't want to bring this up to my orthodontist because I feel like he would just have the "I'm the Doc, let me worry about it" attitude.

But when it's all said and done and my braces are off, I am never going to have a a resting bite with my lower jaw in the pushed back position. It is far too uncomfortable. I can feel all the muscles in my jaw tense up when I do it, it's horrible.

I would post pictures on here if I had any idea how. Anyone with knowledge that would like to help, please do. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Kevin

Hhwhiskey

Re: Bite issues with braces

#2 Post by Hhwhiskey »

I should also add...This old, pushed back bite also doesn't allow my lips to come together comfortably, whereas the new bite does.

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

Your resting bite should be comfortable. You shouldn't have to force your jaw forward/back to make your teeth fit together. Unfortunately, almost all of us with braces will experience bite changes on a regular basis until we're finished with treatment, and some of those changes may not feel so great. It also sounds like you may have sacrificed some of the expected "perfection" because you opted to not have the surgery (which is completely understandable).

I went through a couple weeks where only my front teeth touched and I'd have to adjust my jaw to chew. It corrected itself as my teeth moved some more, but it's not something I would have accepted in the long run. I would give it a little time and talk to your ortho at your next adjustment if it's still bothering you. I doubt he would have a problem answering questions unless you show up and tell him that he doesn't know what he's doing or something...
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Hhwhiskey

#4 Post by Hhwhiskey »

Thanks very much for the reply chichi. What really confuses me is that the oral surgeon showed me what was obtainable with surgery. (I think it was 5 mm forward advancement of the lower jaw). This was showed to me by him sliding my jaw forward to simulate it. All I have to do is slide my jaw forward and I have achieved. essentially the same thing as a $10k jaw surgery. I can do this comfortably. It doesn't feel like it's adding stress to my jaw muscles or anything. Like I said, if anything it feels much better than my standard bite, it just needs teeth to be moved to mesh better. I just don't have any idea if it's possible to relocate your bite to a new position.

I will bring it up with him in the best way I see possible. Thanks again.