NEWW

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

charm0401

NEWW

#1 Post by charm0401 »

I am thinking about removing my braces early. I am near the end of my treatment and teeth look as straight as I would like them. My ortho is simply trying to "up my wires" Ive had braces for about 16 months. I would like advice from anyone who is/was in the same situation

chichi

Re: NEWW

#2 Post by chichi »

I would keep them on until your ortho says you're finished. You've been in them for 16 months already and have probably spent plenty of money on them, so I would stick it out and finish treatment.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

boodles8

#3 Post by boodles8 »

Agreed. Stick it out. If you take them off before you should, they could relapse because of a not-quite-stable bite, and then you will lose even the 16 months you did do.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

The ortho doesn't want you braces any longer than necessary either. After all, every adjustment takes up valuable chair time and not earning him/her any additional money.

Yes; most of the visible "wow!" progress often occurs early on, but the later, more subtle, changes are quite important for a stable and healthy bite for the rest of your life. If your ortho is "upping your wires" that probably means he is putting in stiffer/larger rectangular wires. The earlier wires put your teeth in a nice, neat, row, and these wires make them upright. If your teeth are not pointed at the correct angle, there could be swift relapse and/or long-term damage to your bones and gums.

It's not real visible at all, but these changes are important.