Heavy Elastics vs. Medium

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hidakat

Heavy Elastics vs. Medium

#1 Post by hidakat »

I have been on 1/4" medium elastics running from back lower right to front upper right, and front upper left to front bottom left. (My midline is a bit out of whack) I went to the otho's the other day to pick up extra elastics since I'd run out, and accidentally wound up grabbing the 1/4" heavy ones instead. When I called my ortho he said this was fine as long as I wasn't experiencing pain, but I am finding I have some jaw discomfort now and my jaw feels tired. If the heavier elastics speed things along I will happily deal with it, but if there is risk of damaging my teeth then obviously I don't want to go there. Anybody have any knowledge or experience in this arena?

chichi

Re: Heavy Elastics vs. Medium

#2 Post by chichi »

Since your ortho said the heavy ones are fine, give it a few days. If you're still experiencing significant discomfort, go back and pick up the correct elastics.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

hidakat

#3 Post by hidakat »

Update: met with my ortho today and he explained to me that he usually only uses heavy elastics on male patients--apparently their jaws tend to be stronger. He compared it to lifting weights, where a stronger weight can be useful, but only if you build up to it. If you start on the heavy weights too soon, you may strain a muscle.

After I mentioned the jaw discomfort we settled on an intermittent plan: I'll wear the heavy ones until I feel my jaw getting tired and then I'll move back to the mediums for a day or two to give it a rest. He said every other day would be fine too.

So, we'll see how it goes!

roxie2519

#4 Post by roxie2519 »

The heavy elastics tend to snap out more often. I had such a hard time putting/keeping them on. My dentist finally gave me thinner ones.

hidakat

#5 Post by hidakat »

That's so weird, I found the opposite. My mediums snap like crazy and I feel like the heavy ones could survive a truck passing through them! Maybe it's a brand difference.

roxie2519

#6 Post by roxie2519 »

I feel that they were too large for my mouth