Brushing Etiquette at the orthodontis

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tronnie

Brushing Etiquette at the orthodontis

#1 Post by tronnie »

I noticed at the orthodontis office there is a sink. Some times I see a patient
brushing at it before thier appointment. Personly I do not want to use the same sink as everybody else is useing. I brush before my appointment and do not eat or drink until after. Any thoughts about this, I don't think I've read any post about this....

BHW

#2 Post by BHW »

My ortho's office has a "sink station" which has two sinks, side by side, equipped with floss and mouthwash. Each patient has his/her own numbered box which in addition to holding our impressions, etc. contains a tube of toothpaste. After archwires are removed we can go floss our teeth and brush up prior to having the wire put in again. I think it's great, and I must say that I've never seen the sinks dirty - all of us are pretty good at cleaning up after ourselves. It's just a given that when I go in for an adjustment that there will be some at one of the sinks! Cheers, BHW

BracesAt42

No Problems Here...

#3 Post by BracesAt42 »

Personally, I love having the brushing station at my ortho's office. The first time or two I was very self-conscious about brushing there; the station has two sinks, individually wrapped pre-pasted brushes, floss, mouthwash, etc. Every time I come in, I always brush and use mouthwash (taking out my elastics first) before my ortho appt; it just makes me feel better having very fresh breath before my appt, even if I just brushed one hour prior.

I have never seen the sinks dirty in the office; I am very meticulous anyway -- I brush at the gym every morning and at my office after lunch as well, and am careful to always clean up the sink area afterward.

One of the best feelings is to floss with your archwire out when you are at the ortho's office! Feels like pure freedom!

Don't worry -- you will get used to brushing and flossing at the common station...just one more thing to incorporate into your routine!

:D
Yep, Braces at Age 42!
Damon 2's
Braces On: 9-18-2003
Braces Off: 7-13-2005

Jetgirl

#4 Post by Jetgirl »

My ortho has about 7 or 8 sinks located throughout the patient area. Each sink has a mirror, and a basket with disposable toothbrushes that already have toothpaste on them. There's also floss, moutwash, cups and paper towels. After they take off my old ligs or take out the wire they'll let me go brush. It's a great chance to get between the brackets more than I can at home.

Dodger(UK)

Re: Brushing Etiquette at the orthodontis

#5 Post by Dodger(UK) »

tronnie wrote:I brush before my appointment and do not eat or drink until after.
That's what I used to do. Was good for the 10am appointments, but quite taxing on the 2pm one's. :lol:

tronnie

#6 Post by tronnie »

Then it seems more of the norm. Did the office show or tell you this is what you do or do you just want to do it.

Where the sink is at my ortho is also right where the sign in computer is seems a little out of place. (the sink) Thats why I might resist brushing.
I was wondering if its prefered by the office or if its a courtesy.

Jetgirl

#7 Post by Jetgirl »

tronnie wrote:Then it seems more of the norm. Did the office show or tell you this is what you do or do you just want to do it.

Where the sink is at my ortho is also right where the sign in computer is seems a little out of place. (the sink) Thats why I might resist brushing.
I was wondering if its prefered by the office or if its a courtesy.
My ortho showed me where the sinks were, and they even have a closed-off bathroom we can use if we prefer. They say it's up to the patient if they want to brush at the appointment, but most people do and I know the people working on your teeth appreciate it too. I usually brush at home before I leave anyways, but it's nice to have a chance to brush again when people are going to be working up close in my mouth.

river

#8 Post by river »

wow your lucky ! , my ortho's dosent have a sink with toothbrushs , floss or mouthwash. its just a small sink in the toilets.

iv never seen anyone brushing there teeth in there. i always brush my teeth at home and then i dont eat or drink anything till after the appointment.

what a great idea, thought its seems so simple thing to have now that iv heard about it.

Attagirl2

#9 Post by Attagirl2 »

My orthodontist's office has two sinks - side by side. I was told by the assistant to brush my teeth everytime I came in for an appointment. They have wrapped, prepasted, disposable toothbrushes and mouth rinse.

If I am coming directly from home and I just brushed, I have skipped, though.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

iviolet32

#10 Post by iviolet32 »

My ortho has several sink stations throughout the area. Each station is equiped with disposable toothbrushes, floss and cups. We are given the opportunity to brush and floss after the wire is removed.
I am thankful that we are able to brush really well before all the 'stuff' goes back on :D
Violet

SW

#11 Post by SW »

There are two sinks with toothbrushes, toothpaste and Colgate Peroxyl there, no floss that I've ever noticed though. I brush before I leave for the appointment and go straight there (it doesn't take me long) so I don't brush again at the office. Of course I would though if I was delayed. No one has asked me to floss or brush my teeth when I have the wire changed.
STEPHANIE

spragers

#12 Post by spragers »

My dentist/ortho's office has one closed-off bathroom. The assistant gives you a little travel-sized toothpaste and brush, and tells you to go brush after she takes out the hardware.

I actually prefer it that way.

mtbrncofn

#13 Post by mtbrncofn »

My ortho's office leaves it up to you, but they have it all available, which is very convenient for a lot of people.

It's nice because they have an adult area and a kid area. Everything is always perfectly neat and clean. There is a basket with disposable toothbrushes, wax, toothpaste, floss, etc.

The kids one is great too. It's all kid colored and they even have a couple of video game centers in it!

Honestly, it was just another thing that pushed me to use that ortho. It's very thoughtful, IMO.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

bracegirl26

#14 Post by bracegirl26 »

I've only had my braces on for a week, so I don't know if they will let me brush and floss at my next appt. I am guessing so though because in between putting my braces on they had me go and brush and rinse to remove the gunk they put in my mouth. It had two sinks, toothbrushes, floss and mouthwash all in a walk through little room with no doors.

**shinyhappybraceface**

#15 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

When I went in for my initial consultation, the "new patient coordinator" gave me a tour of the facility. They have two tooth-brushing stations: one for kids and one for their adult patients. Both have supplies available and I was told, "this is where you'll brush your teeth, if you want to."

It's a nice office. They also have several "open" chair areas which face out the windows, as well as a couple of private rooms for ortho treatment. I like this option in case there are a lot of kids around and I'm feeling particularly hormonal. :oops:
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB