Expander?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mrs v

Expander?

#1 Post by Mrs v »

Hi, haven't posted for a while but have decided (I think) to take the plunge. Booked my appointments today and she is starting with expanders. Totally freaking about the whole thing one minute and whether the whole thing will even work and the next thinking got to address it at some point. I'm 35 and gonna have full on braces, TADs etc. sometimes get too scared to even read about this so go easy but be honest ;-)

Didn't ask half the things I wanted to but thought some of you may be able to help.

What's an expander? Does it hurt like hell? Next she said was elastics? Got plenty more questions I'm sure. This is for open bite so appreciate any comments from you open bitters who have gone or are going through this.

Thanks

dantocanada

Re: Expander?

#2 Post by dantocanada »

I'm getting an Expander as well on Thursday and dreading it. I have a crossbite, which is caused by a very narrow upper palate. The expander is going to be used to expand my palate (by about 7 mm) so that my upper teeth fit over my bottom teeth. Right now, my upper teeth fit inside my bottom teeth (crossbite), which is causing premature tooth wear. You may want to find out what exactly it is she is trying to accomplish because Expanders don't work well in adults without surgery. I had surgery 3 weeks ago, which is why they are starting on Thursday with the Expander. If you only require minor expansion, then I think it will work without surgery. The big problem with the Expander is that it is cemented in your mouth and it can affect your speech initially until you learn to speak with it in. Then it stays in for 6 months. Again, as I said, I'm dreading it. I'll update later in the week with how I'm coping.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

I had an expander as a kid and it was painless.

Elastics are a part of most braces... They range from a mild annoyance to a real pain in the !bleep!.

Nozzelnut

#4 Post by Nozzelnut »

If you really want to see a pic of what your ortho's talking about do a search for palate expander. There's a couple different options or styles of them.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

cs2thecox

#5 Post by cs2thecox »

I had an expander as a teenager. It was kind of like a retainer, but cut in half and with a screw in the middle of the bit on the roof of your mouth. I had to turn the screw every day/week/whatever until they'd expanded my upper jaw to where they wanted it.
I don't remember it hurting particularly, but you do get some pressure as they push things around.

This was about 20 years ago, so I'm sure they have all sorts of new versions now!
I liked that mine was removable though, so I could take it out to clean it etc.

journeybegins

#6 Post by journeybegins »

I have had an expander in before I got my braces. Had to have surgery for it to expand my palate. I still have our in now with braces. The only pain you may have is when you tighten it.

You'll eventually get used to it, especially if you have it in as long as I have.