Newbie to Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

YoShe1980

Newbie to Braces

#1 Post by YoShe1980 »

Hello everyone. I just had my TPA and braces put in on Monday and so far, the TPA is just killing my tongue. I don't know how some of you did it! It's only been three days and I'm already wondering how much longer I will have to wear this. I can't eat, I can't talk...but I know I have to be patient and trust the process. I'm going in to see the orthodontist to see if they can adjust the TPA because it seems to be a little to low though. This is just the beginning of my 2 1/2 year journey with braces, and I still have to go get my four bicuspids extracted and my wisdom teeth that have been impacted removed. Wish me luck guys!

sirwired

Re: Newbie to Braces

#2 Post by sirwired »

Your tongue will adjust, and quickly learn to dislodge most stringy foods from the thing. (And you will either give up salad or will lose any sense of shame in reaching in there to get them loose when the tongue can't!)

To help with the talking, read aloud to yourself whenever you have time, taking care to anunciate as best you can. That's the best way to help your tongue retrain itself.

katienorah

Re: Newbie to Braces

#3 Post by katienorah »

I'm new too! No tpa here (which I am pretty stoked on because it sounds mighty unpleasant) but my bicuspid s got the boot nearly two weeks ago and years ago they had to go in and take out all four of my impacted wisdom teeth. Braces have been on for a month and it has certainly been an adjustment. Good luck in your journey to straight teeth!