Pets with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

peanut

Pets with braces

#1 Post by peanut »

It looks like we're not the only ones getting braces:

Seeing dogs with braces brings new meaning to 'impacted canines', doesn't it!! :wink:
Braced: September 23, 2004
Surgery: September 13, 2005

BraceFace13

#2 Post by BraceFace13 »

Is it necessary to put braces on a dog? :? That seems cruel. :(
Last edited by BraceFace13 on Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mackenzie

#3 Post by mackenzie »

Sometimes they can't chew right. I think I remember reading somewhere that dogs only get them for a short time, like a few months.

jimmy18

#4 Post by jimmy18 »

Do they still have to wear retainers?

mackenzie

#5 Post by mackenzie »

LoobyLou

#6 Post by LoobyLou »

Now that just seems wrong to me I'm afraid. I've never heard anything like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

Chocoholic

#7 Post by Chocoholic »

Ah sorry to say but that's awful! Is it really necessary, is it for proper medical reasons or just silly owners who have to have perfect dogs, like the people who have their dogs tails docked or surgically shape their ears.

Ice

#8 Post by Ice »

Some people have too much money, and not enough brains.

SuzyCentri

#9 Post by SuzyCentri »

Wow, that's really something. I am just picturing the way our lab takes her front paw and scratches her mouth if she's gotten into the briars. I don't see braces staying on. And my little schnoodle, there is no way she would put up with it. She's so high strung, and she is always trying to eat our (long haired) cat. And I would think brushing their teeth would be a holy nightmare!

And since they don't seem to chew their food anyway, what is the point?

IMO
Upper ceramics on 6/21/05 (on, off, on)
Lower metals on 7/23/05
-
Suzy
3 teenagers, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 goats, 3 chickens, 1 guinea, and 3 guinea pigs...
what more could a girl want???

BraceMD

#10 Post by BraceMD »

I am pretty sure that the pics you posted are from an orthodontic journal... professional publication... much of the orthodontic research in this country is done on dogs. Unfortunately those pics are probably pics of laboratory dogs, that were euthanized after the experiments.

I discovered this when I was exploring braces- I'm a med student and have access to the professional journals and I was absolutely horrified to see the dog experimentation pics.
Damon 3's 5/22/05
Unbraced 10/2/06

Permanant bonded retainer on bottom, bite positioner, and Hawley retainer at night...

Click www to see pics!

Chr1ssy711

#11 Post by Chr1ssy711 »

Actually dogs can get braces for medical and cosmitic reasons... for example if you have a perfect show dog except the bite...you can fix it...kinda illegal but if you do it before you show the dog and the judge doesnt know then ohwell..
also if the teeth are really messed up and they cant bite properly to chew they can use them.

I know this because i worked at a vet/kennel in high school and we had this dog that had them and she boarded there. it was interesting.

they put them on while they are under anesthia, and tightenings as well. She had them for i think about 6 months...thats all. then her bite was pretty!

She didnt react badly towards them either...she acted like they werent even there.
Chrissy, 20
ceramic Braces
http://www.myspace.com/chr1ssy711Myspace
http://www.chrissytina.comMy Photo site

CelestialVoices

#12 Post by CelestialVoices »

that's just wierd, I'd never do that to my dog (if I had one)

alyssabunny

#13 Post by alyssabunny »

I would normally think this is funny except that I have a kitten with the worst teeth I have ever seen.

We got him at 7 weeks and his adult teeth erupted before his baby teeth fell out. Our vet told us to give it a month and eventually they did fall out. Unfortunately now, at 8 months old,his fangs are all crooked and starting to dig into gums.

Not sure what we are going to do about him...it also seems funny that we both have crooked teeth :)

Alyssa

Chocoholic

#14 Post by Chocoholic »

Well as someone else said earlier in the thread, dogs rarely chew their food anyway, mine just swallows stuff whole, so seems really pointless.

mtbrncofn

#15 Post by mtbrncofn »

Holy crap! That is just insane. What a waste of money, IMO. And the discomfort for the poor thing! I remember when I heard of doggie depressants and other meds and was amazed. This certainly tops that.

What will they think of next?
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.