Powerchain question?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BrandiJeane

Powerchain question?

#1 Post by BrandiJeane »

I just had the powerchain on my two front teeth put on yesterday and I woke up this morning and the gap is already pretty much closed and my teeth are killing me. Like a bunch of pressure is being put on them. My next appt is in 4 weeks. Is that normal. ... Are my teeth going to start overlapping each other and is that normal? Will the braces keep them from overlapping each other? I worried about this!!! Thanks in advance!
Brandi- 20

Started my braces journey 5/05!

LoobyLou

#2 Post by LoobyLou »

Hi BrandiJeane,

I'm sure your teeth aren't going to start overlapping. If they're already straight but just a little gappy then I'm sure that the neighbouring teeth will just bump into each other and stay there but not overlap. 4 weeks away isn't too long - I have about 10 weeks between each appt so I'm sure nothing awful will happen in that time.

Don't worry - just call your ortho up if something weird happens but sometimes things get worse before they get better anyway!

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

SkyWolf

#3 Post by SkyWolf »

Powerchains are usually applied to help close gaps or in my case to make sure the teeth are positioned together snuggly. Your teeth will not over lap from the pressure although it really does feel like it. The pressure your feeling is normal and it will decrease with time.

Bellalalala

#4 Post by Bellalalala »

That's exactly what happened with my powerchains a week ago.

The pressure was enormous and when I woke up the next day, a bunch of my teeth has quite visibly moved and were sore for a few days.

Now my teeth aren't sore, they're just loose.

nikyote

#5 Post by nikyote »

I had a powerchain on my top front four teeth for a few months then later one on each side as well. i had a lot of gaps. i had a huge gap between my front teeth and like you it closed very quickly and my teeth were always sore after i got a new one. after my gap in the front was closed i still had a while before my next apt. and they didnt overlap at all.

jjrp434

PCs

#6 Post by jjrp434 »

As long as your brackets don't break off your teeth, your teeth shouldn't start overlapping. If you've never had PCs before, the first time is usually a little sore. Future visits should be a lot better. Hang in there!
Use the Orthodontist Directory to Find an Orthodontist near you.