What color of ligs!?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mmgreco

What color of ligs!?!

#1 Post by mmgreco »

I am getting metal braces on the top and bottom on the 29th and I am very scared!
What color of ligs look the best.....how much pain am I actually going to go through.....will everybody really make fun of me like they say they will...how much bigger is it going to make my face look....
So many questions, this forum is awesome!
Live today as if it were your last......

Geri

#2 Post by Geri »

Hi mmgreco! I know how you feel - your questions are mine (and several others by the looks of if) too! I'm getting braces on 3rd October and I don't have the answers to your quesions. But people here are a wonderful support and that will help alot. What I am sure of is that no-one will laugh or make fun....I think people will either be interested or take one look and foget about it. Good luck and keep us posted! Your journey to a bright, new smile is about to start! wooo hooo!
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

caringiscreepy

#3 Post by caringiscreepy »

Get whatever colour you want, you've got quite a few months ahead of you in braces so don't be scared to experiment. I've got light pink on my uppers and alternate hot pink and black on the bottom. I think the light pink looks really nice.

Try http://www.bracesonline.com/elastics.html

Braces on: 13th July 2005
Estimated Treatment Time: 18 months

becky_boop

#4 Post by becky_boop »

I got blue and pink, and it looks FABULOUS! I just got my braces yesterday, and it's not that bad. I just feel a little bit of pressure.
I'm not weird, I'm just creative. O.o

TuZZi

#5 Post by TuZZi »

mmgreco, it all depends on what colours you are into. Remember you'll be wearing your braces for a long time, so that leaves you many chances to change your ligs. Have fun with it! Experiment!

Me, I'm a blue person, so I got glow-blue for my first round, and I think I've decided on a lighter carolina blue, or metallic blue for my next change. I'm also growing fond of the pastel colours like pink, purple, and light green... but who knows what those will look like on, and depending on what kind of foods you eat, the lighter colours might get stained a lot easier.

From what I've experienced, most people are very happy to see that you are going through a change with your smile. I haven't had one bad comment yet! The funniest comments are from kids though, as most of them ask what the heck is on my teeth, and if I got them because I didn't brush properly or I got in a fight at hockey. It's cute to see their reactions.

Basically, if you make a big deal over your braces, other people will too.

The amount of pain is going to be different with everyone, as everyone is all at different stages in their lives, and has had different reactions to prior treatment. Most people say the spacers are the worst part of the ENTIRE braces ordeal, and for me, I can vouch for that so far. The only discomfort I've had so far is from the brackets, molar bands, and wires rubbing, scraping, poking, and just generally being a nuisance while eating and sleeping. I've only had one toothache so far, and that didn't even hurt as much as the spacers did.

Don't worry, your face isn't going to bulge out, it's barely noticeable, and chances are, you'll be the only one that notices it.

I hope this helps you out a bit... if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :D We're all here to help.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

mmgreco

#6 Post by mmgreco »

Everybody on this board is so helpful! I hope to post pics of my before within the week.
Live today as if it were your last......

jaws

#7 Post by jaws »

Here are some pictures of different coloured elastics that I've had on my metal braces (click on the images to make them bigger):

Alternating blue and purple:

Purple:

Blue:

Grey:

Pink:

Right now I have a metallic purple colour, but I haven't uploaded the pics yet!

Good luck!
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

hathetran

#8 Post by hathetran »

every color looks good..jus experiment

MS1

#9 Post by MS1 »

I have metal braces on top and I'm getting metal on my lowers this Thursday. I went with silver to match the brackets. I've thought of branching out with some colors, but not sure how professional I would look at work. I work in a pretty conservative office. Don't worry what others will think. It took some people in my office 2 weeks to even notice I got braces. Go with what you love. Have some fun with them. I've yet to receive a negative comment. Good luck!

SHORTIN1

#10 Post by SHORTIN1 »

I have metal on top and bottom. I've experimented with a few colors but decided, for the time being, I like the silver best. It blends with the metal brackets.
I have young nephews (8 yrs & 11 yrs) who think it's funny that I have braces but no one else has laughed or made fun. Although I was and still am so excited about my braces I probably wouldn't have noticed.
SHARI

Jared

#11 Post by Jared »

I started with red, white, and blue. I now have all blue. Next adjustment in mid-September will go with black & orange, then all orange, then green and red. Holiday themes--to help my kids enjoy the process with me and to show the world I am happy about having braces. :D
35 years old, married, father of 5, braced on June 15, 2006

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
-Def Leppard, Rock of Ages--Pyromania

Lisa65

#12 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm jealous Jared! My ortho will only do 2 colours not 3. I started with hot pink and black, and this time I have hot pink and purple.

My next adjustment is early October so I might have orange and black too.

astereje

#13 Post by astereje »

i am so unadventurous. every single color i've had is silver. if i did it all over again i would have tried different colors. my next appointment isn't until october and it is my second to last appointment with braces, so it's not like i have much time to play with the colors.

so i say have fun with it!

ShinySmile

#14 Post by ShinySmile »

I did teal and royal blue alternating for my first appointment, and hot pink and purple for my second! have fun with it :)

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented