New to this Board

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cinnammonngirl

New to this Board

#1 Post by cinnammonngirl »

I'm almost 30 years old, and I've got about 9 months to go before my braces come off. I've had them on for about 10 months. (I know, I know, you're thinking "Only 18 months? It can't be THAT bad!") Jeez, give me some credit...this is my second go-round. I had 6 years of braces as a kid, all the bells and whistles...truly a nightmare. Of course, we think (or at least I did) that braces can't be so horrible as an adult. We can manage pain, time goes by a lot quicker when you get older, etc. True and untrue.

I opted for ceramic braces this time around. I figured I'd pay the extra $500 so that they'd be hardly noticeable, right? WRONG. I should have just stuck with the metal braces, as I have on my bottom teeth. The staining is really killing me. I can't eat or drink hardly anything. In 10 months time, I've discovered that I can't have coffee, tea, cigs, cola, tomato juice, spaghetti sauce, curry, mustard, anything with a tinge to it (soups, sauces, stews), hot sauce...basically like EVERYTHING that isn't white bread, lettuce and Sprite. :)

So, this is what I'm trying to figure out - I'm getting my ligatures or powerchain (whichever it is) changed next Thursday, and I've done a lot of research on this message board to see my options - I think I'm going to try color this time and I'm wondering - what is the best color? So far, I'm thinking of smoke (since that is by far the most recommended), but what does everyone have to say? I would like to hear from those with that color or any other type of color.

The big space is FINALLY gone from between my teeth, but now I STILL can't smile cause I've got yellow/brown braces! Is it everrrrrrrrrr gonna end???
:twisted:

ricardo2

#2 Post by ricardo2 »

Hi cinnammonngirl!

Just wanted to say welcome to the boards.... I'm still relatively new here but I've found this site to be great!

I'm lucky in that I found this site at the beginning of my treatment. My sister is about to have her braces removed, so she went for 2 years without knowing it existed!

At least you've now found it and hopefully you will find it helpful!!

Re - the powerchain colours.... there's been a few posts about that so it might be worth scrolling through the MetalMouth forum pages or running a search. I'm not at the powerchain stage yet, so I can't comment!!

Good luck with your braces.... let us know how you get on.

Take care

LUCY xxx

cookie

#3 Post by cookie »

HI cinnamongirl! Welcome to the boards. I've got ceramic uppers, and luckily haven't had too many problems with staining. My ortho doesn't have coloured ligatures and powerchains to offer, but what I have is tooth coloured wire ties on my top brace instead of a clear powerchain. This is great as it doesn't stain at all (is teflon coated), and is not very noticeable. Just gives you another option to think about :)
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

toothfairy

#4 Post by toothfairy »

Hi cinnammonngirl!

I've yet to get braces (T minus 6 days!), but after seeing some pictures, the purples look really nice! The concept of color is a little scary at first, but why not show off what you've got? :) Also, this thread was a big help to me, especially in seeing the colors in real life. If you still don't want color, the consensus seems to be either grey, smoke, or silver for metal. For ceramics, I'm afraid I'm no help.

ironyengine

#5 Post by ironyengine »

Welcome cinnamongirl! As a Neil Young fan I have to give you props on your username... as far as colors go, I really liked having blue for the last month or so, but I'm thinking of switching to red next just for a change. I figure I've got two years so I may as well taste the rainbow. Hope you like whatever you end up with!