Any advice?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LiveWire

Any advice?

#1 Post by LiveWire »

Hello all,

As many of you know I am being braced on top on Wed...I am gathering up all the many things I will need to make the transition as smooth as possible...but any last minute advice for me? I got a goodie bag from my ortho...just have to pick up some mouthwash, lip balm, earplugs(thanks for the tips) and travel toothbrush....but is there anything I am missing? Or anything I should ask my ortho when I am there... :roll:

Let me know what you think...thanks :D

Enjoy life to the fullest and take chances! :0)

alexa

#2 Post by alexa »

Sounds like you mostly have it all covered.

I guess the only things I would reccomend is to make sure you have soft things around the house to eat...mashed potatoes, soup, oatmeal, eggs, pudding...ice cream... :wink:

Also, one thing I liked having around when I first got my braces on and I had a lot of physical discomfort was Ambesol. I usually got the teen gel version, cause, well, I'm a kid at heart. 8) Anyway, having something to numb out the pain directly on contact was nice when I really didn't have time to wait for my Advil to kick in.

Good luck!

Alexa
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

ricardo2

#3 Post by ricardo2 »

Hi LiveWire,

Just to say Good Luck with your braces.... hope it goes OK for you.

I'd make sure you have some wax for if they rub, and definitely some interdental brushes and floss.... you're gonna need them after eating! :roll:

Good luck & Take care.

Let us know how you get on.

LUCY xxx

Geri

#4 Post by Geri »

I've been doing just the same thing as you Livewire...thanks for asking the question so other newbies can get just as prepared as you!

Good luck on Wednesday! :thumbsup:
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

SuzyCentri

#5 Post by SuzyCentri »

Have a camera ready. You don't have to show anyone the pics, but I think you'll be glad that you took pics, to compare. In some cases, just one day can make a difference.

For that matter, take pics before, too. From all kinds of angles, because it's interesting to see how they change.
Upper ceramics on 6/21/05 (on, off, on)
Lower metals on 7/23/05
-
Suzy
3 teenagers, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 goats, 3 chickens, 1 guinea, and 3 guinea pigs...
what more could a girl want???

LiveWire

Thanks!

#6 Post by LiveWire »

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement and suggestions. I will be sure to have lots of wax around and rinse with warm salt rinses (Kiwi- i know that has been a lifesaver for you so I will definately use that too). Alexa -i will get some ambesol too! Geri - I am a woman of many words so questions come very easy! :lol:

Thanks again..I will take some pics Suzicentri and try to post them so you can see what I look like (my teeth I mean). It is neat to be able to see who you are talking to....Haha...Take care and I will let you all know how everything goes on Wed. :roll:

Chr1ssy711

#7 Post by Chr1ssy711 »

i would also reccomend buying Kanka + or whatever for kanker sores in your mouth. i hate the stuff its icky but you'll need it!!

Good luck!!
Chrissy, 20
ceramic Braces
http://www.myspace.com/chr1ssy711Myspace
http://www.chrissytina.comMy Photo site

BraceUrself

#8 Post by BraceUrself »

I must have missed the post about needing earplugs-what should we get those for specifically? I will be braced on 10-17 & I have been buying all the necessities as well, (wax,flossfish,lip balm etc) Can somebody please enlighten me?? Thank you. :D
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

LiveWire

#9 Post by LiveWire »

Thanks again for all your helpful hints..I am now braced and a little sore (my lips) but I do not have an archwire yet..next week along with my TPA and molar bands....

I think the earplugs are Macs Pillow soft earplugs... don't think they are available in canada where I am but I am definately looking for something similar here.. :roll: