teeth hitting brackets= problem or not?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Shelby014

teeth hitting brackets= problem or not?

#1 Post by Shelby014 »

have you ever had a tooth come down and hit a bracket on your bottom row of teeth, because my top right incisor keeps coming down and hitting my bottom right incisor's bracket, and its not painful, but it cant be good for my teeth, or the bracket. The right incisor is longer then the left because i chipped the left one when i was little, and we just filed it down with a nail file and went on with life, it doesnt look any different, its just shorter, so it doesnt hit. Would my ortho file the right incisor down for me, because i WOULD really like it to be the same length as the other one, its not that noticable right now because i have a gap in between my top two incisors, but that gap is closing FAST, and when it does close, it will be quite noticible. Any info on this is much appreciated thanks!!
:)
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Chocoholic

#2 Post by Chocoholic »

Hello,

When I had my bottom braces put on the top teeth were going to be hitting the bottom brackets, and no you're right this is not good for your teeth as it can chip and grind them down. My ortho built up my back molars with a cement type material so that the teeth wouldn't hit. It was kinda weird as you have to work out some way to chew, but I only had them built up for 6 weeks until the teeth had moved enough for them not to hit.

Yesterday my ortho ground out the cement as it was no longer needed. My front teeth were also chipped and a bit uneven, I got a bit alarmed when he asked the assistant for the "Black & Decker!" it was a small grinding head which he used to smooth off and give my front teeth a really ncie shape, they look great now.

So ask about that.

Good Luck! :lol:
Choco

Shelby014

thanks choco

#3 Post by Shelby014 »

i mean, its REALLY REALLY REALLY annoying!!! I keep hitting it when i try to talk, my teeth hit my brackets on three back teeth, and two back teeth on the left. They put bumpers on them so they dont hit, but that i got over like four hours after i got the braces, so it doesnt bother me anymore, but thank you, i will talk to him about it!!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

LoobyLou

#4 Post by LoobyLou »

Hi,

From day one all my top teeth hit all the bottom brackets which was sooooooooooooooooooooo annoying I agree but fortunately they moved and I can kinda clench my molars together again. However my top canine still keeps hitting the bottom canine's bracket, so much so that the plastic bit of it is completely squashed and mishapen! Not only that when I chew I keep getting the inside of my lip caught in it which leaves it sore for a few days, it heals then I go and do it again!
I completely feel your pain Shelby014 and I expect many many others on here have the same problem at some point during treatment.

Take care,
LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

olderchick

#5 Post by olderchick »

I've had this problem too - top canine hitting bottom canine bracket. After I accidently popped the bracket off, by hitting it when biting down I assume, they put a bumper on the bottom canine that added a layer of rubberband/lig to the top of the bracket. It still hit for a while, but I didn't have any more problems with popping brackets off and didn't feel like I was going to chip away my top canine. Good luck!

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

I can totally sympathize now! I went to the ortho yesterday because I was hitting one molar in the back and was not hitting anywhere else, so the front teeth were not hitting. I went in and he ground down the molar and now I have a better bite, but I keep chomping down on my bottom front bracket. Ouch! It really, really hurts when the teeth are sore too! Ouch!!!! Now I have to eat real slow and be very careful.

Aradia252

#7 Post by Aradia252 »

I just got my bottom braces on today and have this problem as well. One of my front teeth hits the bracket below it, stopping ANY of my teeth from meeting. I can't bite down at all!! I have no idea how I am going to be able to eat if I can't chew.... Hopefully my teeth will meet again in a couple weeks. :(

Ceramics on top: 6/23/05
Lower Expander: 9/8/05, Removed: 3/30/06
Ceramics on bottom: 10/7/05

TuZZi

#8 Post by TuZZi »

Aradia252 wrote:I just got my bottom braces on today and have this problem as well. One of my front teeth hits the bracket below it, stopping ANY of my teeth from meeting. I can't bite down at all!! I have no idea how I am going to be able to eat if I can't chew.... Hopefully my teeth will meet again in a couple weeks. :(
I was like that when I first got my braces a month ago. So much, that I had to go back later my first day and get a front lower bracket taken completely off because I was biting down on it when I talked. That problem has since changed, as I only ever bit down on the front brackets for about 2 weeks, and since then, the back of my top front teeth only hit the top of my bottom front teeth, and not the brackets. I also can't close my bite but more than 3mm, but I don't eat solid foods anyways, so it doesn't bother me.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

R-A-M-O-N-E-S

#9 Post by R-A-M-O-N-E-S »

I had that same problem, The day I got my braces on and they put a bracket on the back of my front tooth to stop it from hitting the bottom bracket and to fix the problem.
Braced Sept-27-05

glowstix

#10 Post by glowstix »

LoobyLou wrote:From day one all my top teeth hit all the bottom brackets which was sooooooooooooooooooooo annoying I agree
that happened to me in the beginning but i went the next day and asked that they move the brackets. its one thing to have to put up with the discomfort of braces as they work on your teeth but if certain discomforts can be avoided, then why not??