Do You Have Favorite Assistants?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dreamer

Do You Have Favorite Assistants?

#1 Post by Dreamer »

Bringing this discussion over here from the Ask The Doc section. I am frustrated having gotten the least experienced assistant the last three visits. She's a new hire and already twice had to get help from other assistants who readily jumped into her spot and can do the job. I'm just curious if you go to an office with multiple assistants, do you request the one you want when you reschedule your next appt? I'm wondering if when they schedule your next appt if they then schedule you with a certain assistant or it's just luck of the draw when you get there, who is available?
Chris, I know you just asked Dr. J about this. We are surely thinking alike on this subject because I want the more experienced assistants working on me too but don't want to offend anyone. How in the world do we get what we want without causing hurt feelings? I feel I have paid a tremendous amount of money for my treatment and should get what I want! Afterall when I go to the dentist I get to schedule which hygenist I want so it seems we should be able to request a certain assistant? My next appt is this Tuesday and I want to be brave and ask when I reschedule about this but am so uncomfortable!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

strugglebuggy

favorite assistant

#2 Post by strugglebuggy »

I can't say that I have a favorite persay, but I CAN tell you that I have one that I absolutely can't stand! When I see that I have her, I cringe, because she isn't very gentle, and she's usually talking so much that she is only half paying attention to what she's doing. I am guarenteed to have a slipped instrument hit my teeth at some point and like I said, she's so busy talking to other people that she forgets things, such as clipping wires after putting new ones on, etc. I always do a run with my tongue before I leave to make sure she got everything...lol. I've found a small clip of wire between my front gum and my lip once too! I avoid it like the plague....LOL. :lol:

trinity1

#3 Post by trinity1 »

I do have a favorite ortho assistant. She's the most informative, caring, proactive and competent one I know in my ortho's office. If I happen to be really unlucky, I end up with the lady who showers with a really strong, offensive perfume, is really rough and insensitive about people's pain tolerance! They really should have laws about care providers not wearing strong perfumes. I end up walking out of the ortho's office smelling like her. Yuck!

Gable74

#4 Post by Gable74 »

Favorites? Yes, how about all of them. Get ready girls, this is about as shallow as it gets and I know it before i even type it. All the girls at my ortho's office are beautiful! I know being pretty doesnt make you a good assistant, but it sure doesnt hurt either. I asked the ortho one time when the assistant walked out if one of the prerequisits of working here was you had to be extremely attractive, he just chuckled. Then about 15 minutes into my appointment, I got the cheek expanders in and drool coming out of my mouth he starts telling the asistant what i said... :oops:. Sort of his way of saying, "you might wanna think about what you say before you say it" i guess. LOL. Now Im not some freaky old man who is into any female with a heartbeat so dont get the wrong idea, Im just your normal guy (i think).

Anyway, whats even better than the fact that they are all very easy on the eyes, is the fact that they are all very kind, friendly, knowledgeable and compassionate. When the ortho told her what i said, she blushed a little and wiped the spit of my lip..LMAO. I am very happy with my ortho and his assistants.

joplin

#5 Post by joplin »

There are four assistants at my ortho's office. One of them is currently wearing ceramic braces herself and one of them has had them before. They are my favorites because they actually know by experience what it's all about. I feel most comfortable when one of them is on the job.
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

fantasia

#6 Post by fantasia »

There are so many assistants at my orthos office I think there are some I havent even dealt with. I don't have a favorite but one girl was a friend of a guy I dated a couple years ago and she and I had hung out a few times...I didn't particularly care for her...so its awkward when she is my assistant, asking me personal questions and what not.
Braces on: September 9, 2004
Treatment time: 2 years

glowstix

#7 Post by glowstix »

i had favourite clinicians but they seem to turnover so fast. back when i was getting adjustments, there was this one in particular that was really really rough and i hated when my folder was on top and it was her turn!! :-(( ....but then there are some others who are really gentle and efficient and friendly. in the end, some good, some not so good..just like everything else in life.

jenns91civic

#8 Post by jenns91civic »

all of my orthos assistants were good. The only ones I didn't like where ones who didn't speak english very well. I hate having doctors, nurses, assistants, etc who can't speak english clearly. It's very frustrating to have a communication barrier when it comes to my health.Some may see that opinion as rude but come to Texas where english speakers are the minority and you'll see what I mean. (yes I'm exaggerating slightly...)
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

doglover1395

#9 Post by doglover1395 »

I'm very lucky in that my orthos two assistants are very sweet, gentle, informative, and caring They even explain why they do what they are doing. I do not have a favorite and am happy getting either.
Braced: 3/4/05
Debraced: 5/21/07
Sentence: 26 months