Headgear help

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mattrivers

Headgear help

#1 Post by mattrivers »

Hi everyone. Looking for some help with headgear questions...

First here's a little background. I'm 19 years old and have braces for the second time. I had braces and elastics for 1.5 years when I was 10 mainly just to straighten/uncrowd my teeth and then a retainer after that. Since then I managed to get a pretty decent overbite as I grew and my bottom teeth crowded together some. Last year I had to get all my wisdom teeth pulled because they were impacted and at my next dentist appointment a few months later the dentist strongly recommended that I see an orthodontist about fixing my bite to avoid jaw problems later on and gave me some referrals (I moved since last round of braces so had to find a new ortho). I went to 3 for opinions and 1 said surgery for sure but the other 2 said they thought they could fix my bite & the crowding without surgery. I really didn't (and still don't!) want surgery, so I went with one of the ones that said I wouldn't need it. Anyways 3 months ago I got metal braces (clear cost extra $$) on my top & bottom teeth and a thing called a lip bumper on my bottom molars which is supposed ot push them back so the rest of the teeth can uncrowd.

Fast forward to today....I went in for my adjustment and the ortho decided to fit me for a headgear (he had told me at the consultation I would need one to shift my upper teeth back but hadn't given a whole lot of details about it). Everything was going ok til he went over the instructions. He told me that I absolutely must wear it for a bare minimum of 20 hours each day but he wants me to get used to wearing it all the time!!!! He told me to wear it home and keep it on for 4 hours, then take a 30 min break, then wear it 6 hours, break, etc. He said that by the end of this weekend I should be keeping it on all the time except for when I am brushing my teeth or taking a shower. He even wants me to learn to eat with it on because he says that chewing helps loosen the teeth and so they will move faster.

I was kind of shocked at the thought of wearing it so much! Is wearing one all the time normal??? I managed to force myself to keep it on while I drove home (keeping my head down and not looking around so I wouldn't see all the snickers from other drivers!) and am trying to keep up with the wearing/break schedule he told me, but is it really necessary for me to wear it all day, to classes (I'm in college), social events, etc. like my ortho said??

Any answers or advice would be very helpful. Also, if anybody has/had a headgear and can tell me what to expect with it and stuff I'd would really appreciate it!!! Thanks

Matt

cassidy91

#2 Post by cassidy91 »

Hmm, well I can't imagine having to wear it all the time, but I usually wear mine for 14 hours a day, and that already seems like a lot to ask. It's hard to get 14 hours but you have to remember that 7 or 8 of those hours as spent sleeping. The rest of the time I'm usually just at home -- after school, doing homework, watching TV, etc. I've rarely had to wear it around people.

To be honest with you it's really weird wearing it around people at first, until they get used to seeing you with it. I'll only wear it around my family and a couple of my close friends. I won't wear it out of the house or out in public, I really don't have to.

If I were you I'd wear it as much as you can, but I think anything more than 14 or 15 hours a day is just asking too much. Just my opinion.

-cass

HeadgearJoe

Re: Headgear help

#3 Post by HeadgearJoe »

mattrivers wrote:Hi everyone. Looking for some help with headgear questions...

First here's a little background. I'm 19 years old and have braces for the second time. I had braces and elastics for 1.5 years when I was 10 mainly just to straighten/uncrowd my teeth and then a retainer after that. Since then I managed to get a pretty decent overbite as I grew and my bottom teeth crowded together some. Last year I had to get all my wisdom teeth pulled because they were impacted and at my next dentist appointment a few months later the dentist strongly recommended that I see an orthodontist about fixing my bite to avoid jaw problems later on and gave me some referrals (I moved since last round of braces so had to find a new ortho). I went to 3 for opinions and 1 said surgery for sure but the other 2 said they thought they could fix my bite & the crowding without surgery. I really didn't (and still don't!) want surgery, so I went with one of the ones that said I wouldn't need it. Anyways 3 months ago I got metal braces (clear cost extra $$) on my top & bottom teeth and a thing called a lip bumper on my bottom molars which is supposed ot push them back so the rest of the teeth can uncrowd.

Fast forward to today....I went in for my adjustment and the ortho decided to fit me for a headgear (he had told me at the consultation I would need one to shift my upper teeth back but hadn't given a whole lot of details about it). Everything was going ok til he went over the instructions. He told me that I absolutely must wear it for a bare minimum of 20 hours each day but he wants me to get used to wearing it all the time!!!! He told me to wear it home and keep it on for 4 hours, then take a 30 min break, then wear it 6 hours, break, etc. He said that by the end of this weekend I should be keeping it on all the time except for when I am brushing my teeth or taking a shower. He even wants me to learn to eat with it on because he says that chewing helps loosen the teeth and so they will move faster.

I was kind of shocked at the thought of wearing it so much! Is wearing one all the time normal??? I managed to force myself to keep it on while I drove home (keeping my head down and not looking around so I wouldn't see all the snickers from other drivers!) and am trying to keep up with the wearing/break schedule he told me, but is it really necessary for me to wear it all day, to classes (I'm in college), social events, etc. like my ortho said??

Any answers or advice would be very helpful. Also, if anybody has/had a headgear and can tell me what to expect with it and stuff I'd would really appreciate it!!! Thanks hi , yes this was the norm for me i wore mine 22 hours a day for ever, i was like you scared an didn't want to wear it in public however i did an the first few times out was bad thought my chest would explode, but i got over that wear it ever wear i needed to an still if i don't get my 14 hours in just because i didn't want to sleep in it i'll wear it at work , the worst part was sleeping at first drool wich i still do some , an the pressure of the facebow laying on it , till i bought a feather pillow , some people buy the openspace pillows for headgear wearersif i can help any just let me know , headgearjoe

Matt
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

mattrivers

Headgear help

#4 Post by mattrivers »

Hmm, well I can't imagine having to wear it all the time, but I usually wear mine for 14 hours a day, and that already seems like a lot to ask. It's hard to get 14 hours but you have to remember that 7 or 8 of those hours as spent sleeping. The rest of the time I'm usually just at home -- after school, doing homework, watching TV, etc. I've rarely had to wear it around people.

To be honest with you it's really weird wearing it around people at first, until they get used to seeing you with it. I'll only wear it around my family and a couple of my close friends. I won't wear it out of the house or out in public, I really don't have to.

If I were you I'd wear it as much as you can, but I think anything more than 14 or 15 hours a day is just asking too much. Just my opinion.

-cass
Thanks for the reply Cassidy. So I can probably just wear it at night and maybe a little bit more when i'm at home right? That's more like what I was expecting. Never expected anything like 20 hours each day or all the time!

Matt

mattrivers

Headgear help

#5 Post by mattrivers »

Hi. Just figured I'd post a little update...

I wore the headgear last night for sleeping but didn't get a whole lot of sleep. I kept waking up in the middle of the night everytime I rolled over or moved. When i got up this morning I took it off for a break. Then I started to notice my molars were really starting to hurt a lot! I've been taking Tylenol all day to try to keep the pain down. I didn't wear the headgear to my morning class but put it back on for about 4 hours when I got home afterwards until I took it off for my afternoon class. Finally got around to putting it back on after dinner.

I'm not as worried about it after hearing that you only really need to wear it at night and maybe a couple hours more. I think I can manage that most days. Sure beats wearing it all the time like the ortho said I "needed" to! :D

Matt

mackenzie

#6 Post by mackenzie »

I think you should ask your ortho. Wearing it less hours a day might increase your total treatment time. HeadgearJoe might have less work than you to be done.

HeadgearJoe

#7 Post by HeadgearJoe »

mackenzie wrote:I think you should ask your ortho. Wearing it less hours a day might increase your total treatment time. HeadgearJoe might have less work than you to be done.
hi , yea sorry got back in town late , yes you realy need to wear your headgear the ortho ask you to , like i told people before i'm at the end of my treatment now an i don't have to have all the pressure an as many hours now , mine i'm told is for the most part holding things inplace while these heavy elastics fix my crossbite an midline i'm told , so yes please wear your headgear as ask you will get use to it the more you wear it the less you'll be sore also , HeadgearJoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

mattrivers

Headgear help

#8 Post by mattrivers »

Thanks for the replies! I asked my ortho when I got it if I could just wear it at night and he said that I definitely needed to wear it all the time because it would supposedly not work if I wore it less and he only wanted me to take it off when I take showers or am brushing my teeth. He told me other than that I should wear it. Is it really that important that I wear it all the time? And what about that whole thing he told me about eating with it? I have never seen or heard of anyone eating with a headgear on!! I guess I still don't understand what the big difference is between wearing it like 14 hours a day and all the time like my ortho said.

Matt

H Rogers

#9 Post by H Rogers »

Hi Mattrivers,
I don't know how on earth you are going to eat with the headgear on. Its almost impossible to even drink water with headgear on. I'm having to wear headgear as well but for 10 hours only and I can barely stand that. I have alot of pain in my neck when I sleep with it and I've had mine now for 2 months. I also think you should be okay with wearing it all night and perhaps after your classes are over. I've never heard of anyone having to wear it for 20 hours a day. That's a little extensive and that also is just my opinion. Good luck with the headgear!

eagle

#10 Post by eagle »

Your ortho perscribed 20 hours a day because of the extent of your overbite. 10-12 hours a day will not produce the same results as 20+hours a day. It may seem extream, but it's what is needed. If you are uncomfortable with that much time have a conversation with your ortho to see if there are options.

As for eating with headgear, I've had three friends that wore headgear 24/7 (two of them had them tied in) and they ate with headgear every day and didn't seem to have any trouble after they got used to it. Straws help for drinking. One friend wore it except when he had a special event, like a date. Eating definately helps to move the teeth. My ortho had me bite on a plastic wafer for 30-60 minutes after each adjustment and it really helped move things and decrease the pain.

Good luck, you'll make it.

mattrivers

Headgear help

#11 Post by mattrivers »

Your ortho perscribed 20 hours a day because of the extent of your overbite. 10-12 hours a day will not produce the same results as 20+hours a day. It may seem extream, but it's what is needed. If you are uncomfortable with that much time have a conversation with your ortho to see if there are options.

As for eating with headgear, I've had three friends that wore headgear 24/7 (two of them had them tied in) and they ate with headgear every day and didn't seem to have any trouble after they got used to it. Straws help for drinking. One friend wore it except when he had a special event, like a date. Eating definately helps to move the teeth. My ortho had me bite on a plastic wafer for 30-60 minutes after each adjustment and it really helped move things and decrease the pain.

Good luck, you'll make it.
Thanks for the reply eagle. I asked the ortho when I got the headgear if I could just wear it at night but he claimed that it wouldn't work unless I wore it all the time. From what people are saying now I guess its starting to sound like that's the truth. :( My ortho told me I should wear it all the time but if I had to take it off for a special occassion once in a while I still should wear it at least 20 hours. I've tried eating with it a couple times & it's pretty hard. My ortho had told me about the straws, so I used those and I guess those work ok for drinking. I haven't worn it to classes and have been mostly just wearing it at home because it doesn't go well with a social life! How old were your friends who had to wear it all the time because I'm wondering how they managed any kind of social life with it? Also I didn't get what you meant about being tied up or whatever.

Anyways I'm pretty nervous about wearing it out to classes and social situations so I'm not sure what to do about times like that. The pain from it is more or less gone at least so my molars aren't throbbing constantly just for a little bit when I put it on and whats weird is they also ache when I first take it off. And finally I managed to sleep a whole night with it!!! :D

Matt

eagle

#12 Post by eagle »

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Tied in means the ortho wired the facebow to the brackets so the facebow could not be removed. (As far as I know it isn't done much anymore.) Both were in high school at the time. One got his headgear off as a junior and the other as a senior. The other friend was in college and he was about 23-24 years old. He wore a combination, high-pull headgear and neck strap. As I said before, he wore his all the time except for special times like going on dates. He is a really outgoing person and always said he wasn't going to let it bother him. Because of his personality, I don't think braces impacted his social life all that much-at least he dated much more than I did.

HG is not the best thing for a social life, but your friends will get used to you wearing HG and it will be okay. Some people will make jokes and some will be courious. How it affects you is really up to you.

mattrivers

Headgear help

#13 Post by mattrivers »

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Tied in means the ortho wired the facebow to the brackets so the facebow could not be removed. (As far as I know it isn't done much anymore.) Both were in high school at the time. One got his headgear off as a junior and the other as a senior. The other friend was in college and he was about 23-24 years old. He wore a combination, high-pull headgear and neck strap. As I said before, he wore his all the time except for special times like going on dates. He is a really outgoing person and always said he wasn't going to let it bother him. Because of his personality, I don't think braces impacted his social life all that much-at least he dated much more than I did.

HG is not the best thing for a social life, but your friends will get used to you wearing HG and it will be okay. Some people will make jokes and some will be courious. How it affects you is really up to you.
Thanks for the reply. That tied in thing sounds bad!!! Was that voluntary or kinda forced on them and for how long??? Also it's amazing that they had good social lives! I'm a pretty social guy but I can't see myself keeping up the same kinda social life I had before if I wear the headgear all the time.

I thought about it and since everyone is saying now that it really is necessary to wear it all the time (and the bad things that happen if I don't) I think I'm going to go ahead and see how it goes today. I only have 1 class today so that's probably a good start to see if I can manage 24 whole hours of it. I'll see how it goes...

Matt

mfreier

#14 Post by mfreier »

[quote="mattrivers"]
Thanks for the reply. That tied in thing sounds bad!!! Was that voluntary or kinda forced on them and for how long??? Also it's amazing that they had good social lives! I'm a pretty social guy but I can't see myself keeping up the same kinda social life I had before if I wear the headgear all the time.

I thought about it and since everyone is saying now that it really is necessary to wear it all the time (and the bad things that happen if I don't) I think I'm going to go ahead and see how it goes today. I only have 1 class today so that's probably a good start to see if I can manage 24 whole hours of it. I'll see how it goes...

Matt[/quote]

How's it going with with the headgear? Have you been wearing it to class, and if so, what have the reactions been like?

mattrivers

#15 Post by mattrivers »

mfreier wrote:
mattrivers wrote: Thanks for the reply. That tied in thing sounds bad!!! Was that voluntary or kinda forced on them and for how long??? Also it's amazing that they had good social lives! I'm a pretty social guy but I can't see myself keeping up the same kinda social life I had before if I wear the headgear all the time.

Matt
How's it going with with the headgear? Have you been wearing it to class, and if so, what have the reactions been like?

Actually I chickened out and haven't been wearing it to classes or social stuff.

Matt