Braced on wednesday...need advice

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

T4raegirl

Braced on wednesday...need advice

#1 Post by T4raegirl »

Hey...So i got braces on thursday and i only got them on the top. I am pretty good so far, not to much pain... i was just wondering how long until i can bite into something. my two front teeth are still sore.
*~*Live to LOVE and LOVE to live*~*
CSULB Class of 2010! Go Beach!
BrEa OlInDa HiGh ScHoOl ClaSs Of 2006!

Top Metal Braces: October 20, 2005
Lower Metal Braces: January 2006

[/url]

R-A-M-O-N-E-S

#2 Post by R-A-M-O-N-E-S »

Your lucky your not to sore, I was in alot of pain my first week.
I have both top and bottom
Took me about 6 to 7 days to eat normal agian
Good luck!
Braced Sept-27-05

weird_wired

#3 Post by weird_wired »

Not being able to use your teeth keeps the brace much cleaner!

My upper brace has been on for five days now and they're still too tender to bite with.

My tongue is going to end up with muscles like Schwarzenegger the amount I am using it to mush-and-crush my food against the roof of my mouth.

You may find the very back teeth are useable.

If you're sick of 100% mush/soft stuff, try potato salad with fairly well-cooked potatoes, and finely-chopped crunchy (but swallowable) onion. It has a really nice solid feel to it compared to most of the stuff I've been eating, eg mashed potato, hummous, cheesecake-without-the-base.

johnnys_angel

#4 Post by johnnys_angel »

I'd say start biting with your front teeth when you feel ready. When I had braces, I rarely bit with my front teeth, out of habit.
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

x_Ashley_x

#5 Post by x_Ashley_x »

Well so far i have had my braces 3 days and they are still sore...everyone tells me that they are sore for a week so who knows... :pinkbraces:

BraceUrself

#6 Post by BraceUrself »

I think it's different for everybody. I still have a hard time biting into certain foods & I have had my uppers braced now for almost 3 weeks-Braces sure do teach us one thing-PATIENCE! :lol: Good luck & welcome!
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

sillikitti

#7 Post by sillikitti »

I'm on my 10th day with braces and I still can't bite into anything :cry:
Yesterday I had to eat a sandwich with a knife and fork. I guess some people just take longer to heal...

fins

#8 Post by fins »

It will change and the pain will come and go, not necessarily right at the time you get an adjustment. My teeth hurt right now but I haven't had an adjustment in weeks. It's just a tooth moving again. Usually within 4-5 days max the pain just fades away. It is kind of sad though that your teeth can start hurting at any old time they want to but at least you know things are happening with them.

I think the type of movement you need to achieve and the ligs (wire or elastic) also play a part in what kind of discomfort you have.
fins