Impatient! (unrealistic expectations)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

weird_wired

Impatient! (unrealistic expectations)

#1 Post by weird_wired »

I realise this is totally ludicrous, but part of me - a tiny, stupid, delusion part - was hoping to see near perfect results after just a few days. Or at least some definite movement ;)

The sensisible part of me knows that this is a process that takes months and years, but somehow I'm still a tiny bit disappointed.

Anyone else as dumb and delusional as me, who hoped for a magic instant miracle?!

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

I definitely had the same unrealistic expectations...at first. Then after I got used to my braces and basically forgot about them, one day my mother commented on how straight my teeth were getting. I didn't believe her, so I ran to the nearest mirror to check, and sure enough, they had moved a TON! Your teeth may be moving faster than you think, you might not realize it because you see your teeth many times a day. Hang in there! The time goes faster than you originally think.
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

weird_wired

#3 Post by weird_wired »

That's great! How long had your braces been on when your mother noticed the results?

MadeIn1984

#4 Post by MadeIn1984 »

I went into this process not expecting immediate results, however, the process has flown by rather quickly for me. I cannot believe the amount of movement that has occured in 3 months. Here, I'll even provide some Before & After photos! :D:

Before - July 30th, 2005 - This is one week after being braced. My teeth actually got a little worse before they started shifting into their new positions.

After - October 20th, 2005 - *Just* under the 3 month mark when I took this photo. Lots of change. I never expected this much so soon.

Suffice it to say, don't preoccupy yourself with your teeth shifting so soon! It'll be like watching grass grow! It's a process that takes time. I'm sure things'll start picking up. For the first month I saw nearly no shifting of my teeth at all and then -*BAM!!!*- things started to move after that pretty quickly. Taking weekly photos of your teeth can really show the progress you've made. :D

Good luck with everything! And have some patience. :wink:
Visit me on MySpace! :wink:

hannah164

#5 Post by hannah164 »

Hey weird wired!
I wish my teeth would move! The gap I had when I first got my braces went away very fast but after that like nothing happened! I'm finally gettin' bottom braces after 1.5 years! Hopefully I'll get some movement then!
Good luck to you!

-Hannah

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

MadeIn1984 - that is INCREDIBLE progress! Your teeth are looking superb.

What I'm finding strange is that my teeth are more sore on the "good" side of my mouth (eg the teeth that don't need to move much, if at all). Whereas the other side where they are sort of squooshed in and need to be moved out quite some way, they aren't feeling much at all.

But I know it all happens bit by bit. My granny always told me I needed to be more patient.

Hannah - good luck to you too - and hopefully my granny's patience will be with both of us! ;)

littleshaddies

#7 Post by littleshaddies »

I didn't notice movement in my first four weeks but the wire got trimed so, hey something must have moved!
Also, i now and agan feel like tooth or two want to come off (no pain), weird feeling so I think something most be moving.
I love statistics ( if i can spell it, we need spelling check here, or have we got one I can't find?), and they say teeth move 1mm a month, so they must be moving.

Slowly, slowly but safely. :-1
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

johnnys_angel

#8 Post by johnnys_angel »

weird_wired wrote:That's great! How long had your braces been on when your mother noticed the results?
It was only about 2 or 3 months.
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05: