sleeping with headgear

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mattrivers

sleeping with headgear

#1 Post by mattrivers »

Another question for everyone...

How long does it take before you can sleep ok with a headgear??? Also any advise for wearing it would be helpful too!!!

Matt

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

I didn't have headgear, so I can't say anything about sleeping in it (sounds uncomfortable!). But some advice, don't slack off wearing it! My friend has had braces for six years (with years to go) because once, years ago, she decided to not wear her headgear for a day. Then when she went to put it back on, the pain was unbearable, and she hasn't put it on since. So, basically from what I understand, wearing it is much easier and less painful then trying to start wearing it again. I hope that made sense, I am so out of it today :D
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

mattrivers

#3 Post by mattrivers »

Thanks for the reply. I'm not planning to slack off totally with it but my ortho wants a kinda rediculous amount of time.

(here's a link to my earlier post about the amount of time: viewtopic.php?t=6848)

Matt

mattrivers

#4 Post by mattrivers »

Another night of not much sleep with the headgear. :(

Anybody here have or had one who can give me some tips or something so I can get some sleep?

Matt

swan

#5 Post by swan »

Have you seen this headgear pillow?

http://www.openspaces.com/product.html
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

H Rogers

#6 Post by H Rogers »

I have one of these open spaces pillows and it will help some if you are a side sleeper. Again, I have had my headgear for 2 months and still I can't get any sleep. I wake up with severe neck pain. I usually end up taking it off during the night in my sleep because the neck pain is unbearable. Everyone keeps saying the more you wear it the faster you will get use to it and sleeping included. I haven't reached that point yet. Good luck!

johnnys_angel

#7 Post by johnnys_angel »

mattrivers wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm not planning to slack off totally with it but my ortho wants a kinda rediculous amount of time.

(here's a link to my earlier post about the amount of time: viewtopic.php?t=6848)

Matt
WOW that is quite extensive in my opinion! I certainly wouldn't wear it for that long :)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Caralyn03

#8 Post by Caralyn03 »

Hi. I never had a problem sleeping with headgear!

I had to wear it for 4 months at night and always had good sleeps. just don't forget to wear it for a couple days because it is really sore the next time you put it on

violinist

headgear

#9 Post by violinist »

can u wear Headgear out in the day? r u allowed to? because I would have to becuase its bad enough i can't get to sleep well enough.

HeadgearJoe

#10 Post by HeadgearJoe »

hi , yes sleeping in headgear can be a bit of a pain ,you drool an your neck can get sore,, an you get these great facebow marks on your cheeks , a openspace headgear pillow will help , however i bought a feather pillow an my headgear lays in it pretty well i sleep great , however i still drool , i'm a side sleeper , (hgjoe)
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

Solrosen

#11 Post by Solrosen »

This with sleeping in hg... I have had my headgear for about three weeks now. Almost every morning I wake up and realise that in the middle of the night I have taken it off in my sleep. Has anyone else here had this problem, and what did you do? I find it hard to keep the minimum time this way...

travdude5001

#12 Post by travdude5001 »

Solrosen wrote:This with sleeping in hg... I have had my headgear for about three weeks now. Almost every morning I wake up and realise that in the middle of the night I have taken it off in my sleep. Has anyone else here had this problem, and what did you do? I find it hard to keep the minimum time this way...
I don't take mine off in my sleep, but I did have trouble sleeping with it on for probably like the first week that I had to wear it. It got better once I just got used to having it on.

Trav

Solrosen

#13 Post by Solrosen »

Called the ortho office just before Christmas and was told I would get used to sleeping with it. But another week has passed by since then and still not one night where I haven't taken it off.

Anyone who had this trouble with theirs and who can give me advice?

HeadgearJoe

#14 Post by HeadgearJoe »

good morning , hope you get use to your headgear pretty soon, an can sleep better soon , headgearjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

bbsadmin

#15 Post by bbsadmin »

Regading taking the headgear off in your sleep...

I recall one reader who fastened oven mitts on his hands at night to help prevent this from happening. I believe he secured the mitts with velcro.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!