fear of braces that show, and the price that follows

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Elly_Gold

fear of braces that show, and the price that follows

#1 Post by Elly_Gold »

Hello, im new here
For years i have been denying the fact that the only way to
fix my 4 upper "bent forward" teeth is getting braces.
Now im olmost 22 and realy want to get this over with
but everytime i give it a thought i get really gloomy and anxious :shock: , even depressed about having braces, something that all of my friends got rid of at 15.

I have been to the orthodonist this week and he said that my upper teeth
can be fixed with invisalign, but the lower can not since we need to lower
2 teeth and it can be done only with regular braces

The price he quoted for invisalign in the upper teeth, and regular
ceramic in the lawer is $5300 for 12-18 months.

is that anyway near normal? does anyone here had half regular half invisible and can tell me how much it cost? or anything about what it feels like?
And... does anyone get really depressed sometimes over the braces issue at an old age? :roll:
~ you will find the New Allegiance like a beacon in the night, If you're searching for salvation reach inside ~

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Elly and welcome. I understand you concerns - most of us have been where you are. I was quoted about $4,800 for Invisalign and $3,900 for regular braces. I checked into how they achieve alignment with the Invisalgn and decided to go with traditional braces (well, they actually put Damon 3's on me - as I left it up to the orthodontist's office to select what would be best for what I needed done).

You might want to pose your question about mixed braces and Invisalign on the Invisalign / Lingual Forum just below Metal Mouth Forum.

Best wishes on whatever you decide to do. Don't let the fear of what you will look like, stop you from getting your teeth fixed. I am 52 and can tell you they will only get worse without treatment and retainers.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

jenns91civic

#3 Post by jenns91civic »

Invisalign is expensive, no way around that. I wouldn't get ceramics on your lowers because ceramics are harder than your teeth and can cause chipping/wear if your top teeth hit them. Some orthos do it anyway but it's a case by case thing. If I were you I'd just get all metals. Probably cheaper, and the majority of people who actually notice braces are other people with braces. At 22 you're still young, just go for it!

I'm 22 and got mine off in April. No one but my trumpet teachers and mom complained about when I was getting them off and no one at a new job I started a few weeks before getting the braces off even noticed. It's not as bad as you think.

Best of luck to you,
Jenn
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Juliet

#4 Post by Juliet »

Just do it:) Otherwise you'll keep putting it off and end up being 50 years old when you get started like me! I have ceramic on top - not all that noticeable - and metal on bottom. Wish I'd done it 30 years ago!

gracie381

#5 Post by gracie381 »

I say go for it. I'm 26 and like you I just kept putting it off. I wished I would have started when I was 22, then I would be smiling beautifully by now!! It will all be worth it, no matter what you decide!
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

"22... old age" - oh you will be laughing very sadly at that when you hit 30, and 40, and 50... ;)

You aren't old at all, so get it done now, because the longer you leave it the harder it gets.

gracie381

#7 Post by gracie381 »

Also just to let you know, but you can check on orthos that work with a University. That's where I go. All of his assistants are either about to graduate or just graduated and are earning their time in order to either work with someone or start their own practice. They are very thorough adn sometimes more gentle because they are learning and don't want to hurt you. My ortho also check on me before and after each appointment to make sure everything is done right and if I have any problems or questions. My treatment was only $2800, which I do have all metal braces, but you can save on everything, including Invasilign. My first estimate from an ortho in a regular office was $4500. Just a thought.
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

Qtgirl

#8 Post by Qtgirl »

Hey Elly_Gold, I agree with everyone- Go for it :D . Im 26 and finally got mines 3 months ago. I use to think about how it would look and what other people would say and it had me very afraid. I even considered Invisalign & ceramics. The metals cost me $3900 for upper and lower and it was obviously the cheaper deal for me (turned out invisalign wouldnt have done the job for me). I cant be any happier. Turns out no one really cares or even notices the braces. And if they do- they say nothing. Now my sister and another friend of mine say that they should get them. The only people who really said anything was my 3 & 5 year old niece who said I looked like braceface :) :wink:

Honestly, I was very anxious about getting my braces. Not because of my age, but because what I thought people would think. As I got my braces and saw how great my teeth is getting- that disappeared.

Chocoholic

#9 Post by Chocoholic »

Hey Elly_Gold. Just go for it!

I'm 30 and have a mixture of ceramic and metal braces and trust me hardly anyone notices them. The sooner you get going, the sooner you'll have great teeth and remember it's all about self improvement, go ahead and take the plunge - good luck!

bigsmilee

#10 Post by bigsmilee »

hiya elly_gold. Im 21 turning 22 soon and Im going to be in my braces at 22. Believe me it's not that bad..... I initially felt like omi gosh I'm so old, all my mates had braces at 15 and now they are all but a distant memory for them. I'm going to look ugly, I dont have a boyfriend and as if anyone is going to like me now etc etc etc. It was even harder for me because Im a model and presenter and am constantly pressured to look a certain way... Honestly I have not been booked for much facial work this year and that is understandable and that was really tough for me becuase I have not been working as much and have had orthodontic and university bills to pay.. Saying all this I have really had a chance to focus on my studies and family and develop a self esteem which is not derived from my looks and it has really changed me. I think all this will be more than worth it for you as you watch your teeth progressively improving!

megan_in_pink

#11 Post by megan_in_pink »

yea i am going be 22 on tuesday *ya baby* i got my braces and when i was 20, and realy brealy anyone has said anyhting about them, the sooner u get them they sooner they are off :D more people in thier 20's are getting braces these days so i am sure u will not be alone

natesmom

#12 Post by natesmom »

I have the same situation as you. Invisalgn for the top, ceramic for the bottom 12-18 months. My total treatment cost is $5950.

I am into my 12th week and so far people rarely notice I am wearing anything at all. However, I am 32 and hate every moment of it. I can't wait for it to all be over.

Ciaytee

#13 Post by Ciaytee »

This is my first post, and I hope y'all don't mind if I jump on in here.

...and the majority of people who actually notice braces are other people with braces.

Just wanted to ditto that. I honestly never noticed how many adults have braces until I got them myself. And once I got them my peers didn't make a fuss about them because, lookie there, we're all adults, and this just isn't all that fuss-worthy.

So please don't let what you fear other people will think affect your decision. I admit that I was a little concerned when I first decided to get them, but I figured, hey, braces will take 2 years, and I'm gonna be 34 anyway. I can be 34 with nice teeth, or I can be 34 with gappy teeth. The choice was all mine, and I chose nice teeth. There's no reason you shouldn't, as well.
"Nice is different than good." -- Stephen Sondheim, Into the Woods

littleshaddies

#14 Post by littleshaddies »

I never noticed how many adults wear braces...until I found this site :lol:
To pay for the braces or buy a car :?: hmmm........there are more than enough cars on the english roads already. Oh well, I'll just take the bus for a year, or walk, most of the time is the fastest way. See I can do positive thinking. Thanks to Karen for the advice sometime ago. :wink:
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]