Newbie looking for advice on consultation

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kellyonz100

Newbie looking for advice on consultation

#1 Post by kellyonz100 »

Hey guys,

I just visited my dentist the other day because I was having jaw pain. It turned out to be nothing serious, just clenching. Phewwww. I did ask him about my teeth, as they are pretty staright, but I have two that are a bit crooked. I apologize as I have no pictures and I don't know the proper name of these teeth. They are the teeth to the left and right of my front teeth. The one is twisted and didn't come in all the way. The second is just shorter, but not as bad as the other. My dentist told me braces would be the only way to correct this issue. I scheduled a consultation with an ortho and have mny appointment tomorrow afternoon. I am nervous and not sure what to expect. I have been tooling around on this site for the past week or so. Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Chaim9778

#2 Post by Chaim9778 »

I had a clenching problem too, TMJ the whole nine. I'va had my braces on now for about 27 months. I haven't clenched the whole time I've been braced that I can recall. Braces seem pretty drastic if you only have two teeth that are off a bit? Have you looked into veneers? I'm not an ortho though, you could have a bite issue too. I'm interested in seeing what you find out.

elly123

#3 Post by elly123 »

Hey! I just got over my TMJ (clenching...fun. Appliance at night for a year...physical therapy...woohoo) and tomorrow I get my braces! When you go to your consult, there are a few things that you might want to keep in mind:

1. Ask questions! Your ortho will encourage you to, and make sure that you do. If you think of any between now and then, write them down.
2. Since you are only conerned with 2 of your teeth, ask about other options and see if any other treatments are right for you.
3. Don't let them pressure you into anything. I knew for four years I was getting braces, but having to decide on anything in a short period of time is not a good idea.
4. Make sure you like your orthodontist. If you decide on treatment, they will become your best friend for two years! I really like my ortho so I don't mind making visits there often and I feel comfortable asking questions and I am comfortable in his abilities.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck!

elly :-1

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hey Kelly and welcome. Your mouth sounds similar to mine. Teeth fairly straight, but front to laterals not where they should be. When the orthodontist gets in there to look, don't be surprise if he finds bite issues, teeth slanting inward, etc. They really look at the whole mouth, not just one thing. As mentioned, start writing down any questions you may have.

Also become very aware of payment requirements, some orthodontists will charge you if you go over the estimated time of treatment, or if you break off a predetermine number of brackets.

Consider getting two or three consultations. I went to the orthodontist my dentist recommended and am very happy, but I would have gone elsewhere had I any resevations.

Best wishes to you.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers