Quad Helix....what are they like?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FourBoys04

Quad Helix....what are they like?

#1 Post by FourBoys04 »

My son is getting a quad helix and I've never heard of this appliance before. We have a mtg in November to discuss the treatment. I was just hoping to find out from people who have/had them what to expect. Are they painful or uncomfortable? How long did you have yours?

Any suggestions, advice or comments are welcome!

Thanks! :D

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." J.Wasmund

londonchick

#2 Post by londonchick »

hi 4boys

i have had a quad helix in for almost a year now. They are extremly uncomfortable for the first few weeks. My tounge felt so sore, the lisping was awful and the excess saliva did not help much. It didn't make my teeth sore as such, just a little pressure i guess. Eating is not much fun either as you can't squash the food into the roof of your mouth if your teeth a sore. I won't say that you get to the point where you don't notice it anymore because it's impossible to ignore when your tongue is stuck to it all the time. But he will get used to it, make sure he avoids shredded thin food (lettuce, spinich, cucumber etc) as it gets caught up in the little loops and are a nightmare to get out (tweezer may be needed !!).

Hope it all goes well for him.

tkais

#3 Post by tkais »

I wore a quad helix for several months. Other than not being able to talk right and having food get stuck in it, it's really not that bad after about the first week. Takes that long for your tongue to adjust and stop hurting.
Melted cheese is a pain too, it gets wrapped around the wire.
Good luck!

londonchick

#4 Post by londonchick »

i came back to this today as i realised i'd forgotten to mention the melted cheese which as you rightly point out is a bit of a pain :lol:

GADonny

#5 Post by GADonny »

Thanks for this info'

I get my braces on top and bottom as well as the quad helix on Nov. 22nd

i'm nervouse but really excited.
Donny

" Sometimes the wounds that never heal are easiest to hide. "

greencapt

#6 Post by greencapt »

First- the Quad DOES work. :)

Second- everyone is correct... they're a pain in the rear and eating is a problem, talking is a problem, etc. But you do get *used* to it.

Third- WHOO-HOO!! I get mine off tomorrow, one month earlier than expected!!!!

And here's what it looks like, in all its drooly, annoying glory:

summergirl

#7 Post by summergirl »

is this to expand your jaw ??? I just had mine put on on Monday mine looks a lot bigger and some kind of ceramic thing ,I can barley swallow.Is to correct an over bite??Mine is very very very uncomfortable .I can't wait till it is out of here!!!!! Anyone one getting one soon go out and eat everything you like because when this thing goes on no more enjoying your food... Braces can't be this bad

Jan :x :( :( :( :( :(

I hope tomorrow is a better day !!!!!

tkais

#8 Post by tkais »

This is what my quad helix looked like.