Help ... ouch!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Barbiedoll

Help ... ouch!

#1 Post by Barbiedoll »

I've only had my braces for 24 hours. My gums, teeth and cheeks hurt. I've put wax on almost all of the brackets. Is this OK or should I let me cheeks "get used" to them? I've rinsed, brushed, used orajel type stuff, and my mouth is throbbing. I'm starting to think I made a mistake. By the way, I'm 49 and will be 52ish before they come off. Help!
:ouch:
I reject your reality … and substitute my own.

HeadgearJoe

Re: Help ... ouch!

#2 Post by HeadgearJoe »

Barbiedoll wrote:I've only had my braces for 24 hours. My gums, teeth and cheeks hurt. I've put wax on almost all of the brackets. Is this OK or should I let me cheeks "get used" to them? I've rinsed, brushed, used orajel type stuff, and my mouth is throbbing. I'm starting to think I made a mistake. By the way, I'm 49 and will be 52ish before they come off. Help!
:ouch:
hi , newbie an congrats , yes we as the older bunch at fist some of use tend to hurt a bit more , i to was 40ish started braces an was told the teeth an roots are realy happy there an will take a bite to get use to being moved , i to was sore for about two weeks then it realy does get much better , good luck , HeadgearJoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

camille4824

#3 Post by camille4824 »

Hang in there............in about a week you won't feel this way....your cheeks will get to used to this, ...Wax is there for a reason, so use it all ya want....once the initial pain goes away in your gums, everything else gets much easier

You didn't make a mistake..........just remember....No pain, No gain :wink:
Hope you feel better soon.....we all relate to ya!
Congrats on getting braced!
Pendulum worn 10/12/04 until 4/19/05
Braced on top 1/19/05
Bottom braced 4/19/05
Damon 3 brackets

Barbiedoll

#4 Post by Barbiedoll »

Thanks, I guess I was just feeling sorry for myself. I've been reading about the different kind of "protectors. I think I might try one of them if things aren't better in a week or so.
Again, thanks for the support. :D

kateps

#5 Post by kateps »

Hi and Welcome!
I was just braced exactly one week ago. I'm not gonna lie, many times I had thought I made a mistake as well. But I can tell you that the past two days the pain has been much better. I was in a LOT of pain the first 5 days. I say use as much wax as you need at first, but others might argue to tough it out so your cheeks get used to it as soon as possible. Do whatever makes you comfortable. Advil has definitely helped me a lot.

Just think how great your teeth are going to look when you are done. I think about that all the time when I am in pain or discomfort, it somehow helps. Congratulations and good luck on your journey!

jenns91civic

#6 Post by jenns91civic »

Use wax all you want at first, but I'm in the "don't overdo it" club. Your lips WILL adjust to the braces and unless you are one of the unlucky ones who gets sores from them, you won't need wax hardly at all once your lips toughen up. But at first, it's a major shock to your mouth so by all means, pile on the wax. In about a week, you should feel much better and I personally recommend that you go easy on the wax except for if you have a particularly pokey area. Others use tons of wax all through treatment. There's not right or wrong answer though. It's all your own preference.

Some swear by salt water rinses. That never has helped me but you should try it and see how it works for you. Get some bite wafers. Go ahead and order some online *before* you need them. They are just horseshoe shaped rubbery things, can be flavoured (grape or cherry) or not, and all you do is put one in your mouth and chew on it. It stimulates blood flow which reduces the pain after adjustments. If you can't find them online, let me know and I'll try to find where I bought some from.

Best of luck to you throughout your treatment and don't hesitate to post any questions you have. Many of us on this site have been there done that, got the tshirt and the empty pocketbook to go with it. Many are just starting like you so you can share experiences with others going through it with you.

Jenn
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

SW

#7 Post by SW »

I agree not to get too used to using wax alot. I used it on brackets that were really irritating certain areas to avoid developing a canker sore, but over time you will get used to the brackets. I have had super results using Colgate Peroxyl rinse to help heal up irritations and keep things under control (that way you don't have to rely on wax so much.) Hang in there, it will get better.
STEPHANIE

Barbiedoll

#8 Post by Barbiedoll »

Thanks everyone for the support. I did get the colgate rinse and it helps, as well as salt water. I load up on wax at night to get some sleep. It's weird, only some of my teeth hurt. My husband says I look cute in my braces, expecially when I have the wax on 'cause it makes my lips look like I'm pouting. I only have the top braces. I get the lowers in six months or so. Then I suppose I go thru this again on my bottom cheeks. :roll: