dry sides of mouth with rubber bands...anybody else?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Evelyn

dry sides of mouth with rubber bands...anybody else?

#1 Post by Evelyn »

Hey everyone! I just got rubber bands for the first time, and I don't mind them except that they make the sides of my mouth red and dry on the outside! I think it's because I can't cover my braces as well with my mouth with the rubber bands so when I'm sleeping, spit gets onto the sides of my mouth and stays there, causing it to be red and dry when I wake up.

Has this happened to anybody after getting rubber bands? Any other all around advice for a newbie-rubber band wearer? Thanks, Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

SW

#2 Post by SW »

I don't have the exact problem as you, but I do have quite a bit of irritation on the right side of my mouth from wearing elastics. For some reason the left side isn't too bad. The only suggestion that I can offer is perhaps to avoid using a mouthwash containing alcohol since that can dry out your mouth, and instead use a mouthwash like Biotene that is designed for helping with dry mouth problems, irritations, etc.
STEPHANIE

Doug

#3 Post by Doug »

As I recall I had some little sores right in the corners of my mouth when I first started on the bands. I had the front-to-back ones at that point. But my mouth soon toughened up and the sores went away. Later on I had the vertical "lockjaw" configuration. That's fun!

It's also fun when you try putting one back on surrepticiously after a meal and end up launching it across the room!

The good thing about the bands is that they seem to hold your cheeks away from your brace wires, so the inside of your mouth doesn't get as bothered by the archwire etc. (at least that was my experience).

Enjoy!

SW

#4 Post by SW »

Doug wrote:
It's also fun when you try putting one back on surrepticiously after a meal and end up launching it across the room!

The good thing about the bands is that they seem to hold your cheeks away from your brace wires, so the inside of your mouth doesn't get as bothered by the archwire etc. (at least that was my experience).
Lol, somehow I have not acquired the knack for putting elastics back on surrepticiously. I can take them off, without drawing much notice though! :wink:

That's true about the bands holding your cheeks away from the wires, unfortunately my problem is the bands then bother me instead. Gotta love elastics. :?
STEPHANIE

camille4824

#5 Post by camille4824 »

"ditto" to Dougs comments....I just got elastics on the 17th...front to back. I am finally feeling much better....at first it seemed quite dreadful!!

Just in the past 3 days I have been waking up with little sores....they seem like different sores...especially since the sore is gone by afternoon.. I am used to terrible ones from my brackets....so I definetly agree that the elastics keep my sides away from the brackets....

Take the good with the bad......Thats what I always hear :wink:
Pendulum worn 10/12/04 until 4/19/05
Braced on top 1/19/05
Bottom braced 4/19/05
Damon 3 brackets

jenns91civic

#6 Post by jenns91civic »

I'm worried about latex allergy (it's the EMT in me, sorry). Do you have a known allergy or sensitivity to latex? You might want to mention it to your ortho so they can try to get you latex free elastics (i know they make them).

Of course, I'm not diagnosing or anything (way out of my scope of practice) just pointing out that it is a definite possibility.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Evelyn

#7 Post by Evelyn »

Thanks everyone so much! I did some poking around the internet, and I think I found the culprit. It's called 'Perleche', and you can see pics of it by going to images.google.com and typing it in, or find info on google. It's basically what I described above, but it specifically says that people who get it a lot are braces wearers and dentures wearers. I've actually had it before, but not this bad, and it takes about a week to go away. I think the reason behind it is that I'm nearing the end of treatmetn and they've absolutely loaded my mouth full of crap so it's not just the brackets and rubber bands, it's a load of extra stuff as well. For now I'm putting neutrogena hand creme (the really thick stuff) on it to act as a barrier and hoping it'll go away soon.

Jenn, interesting theory about the latex allergy. I did some research on that and couldn't really come up with anything on its relation to rubber bands. What would the symptoms be? And would it have showed up already since the ortho has latex gloves and I've never had a problem with them?

Thanks, Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Marisa714

I have the same problem!

#8 Post by Marisa714 »

Hey Evelyn,
I have the same problem as you do! I've also done some searching and think I may have angular cheilitis...I think it's the same thing as Perleche. I got my braces last september and have been using rubberbands for several months, so I'm not sure what caused this. I am allergic to Nickel and have always had severe mouth sores which I thought was just the braces, but even my ortho has commented on how bad my sores were. Does anyone know if nickel could cause this?