Braces are finally on! Happy/Frustrated :-\

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

elly123

Braces are finally on! Happy/Frustrated :-\

#1 Post by elly123 »

Hi everyone! Yes yes the braces went on on Tuesday and at first I was just SO THRILLED! Everyone loves my ceramics and all of my friends made me corny little "congrats on your braces" cards which made me smile even bigger. Now, however, my braces are starting to frustrate me. The bands have these sharp things on the inside that are ripping up my tongue. Eating or talking takes forever as I try to avoide the sharp pain that I get when my tongue moves along the bands! (In fact, the other day I just started to tear up at dinner because I was SO HUNGRY and my tongue was in so much pain!) I've also got a million sores all over my mouth and just keep using wax and rinsing out my mouth. But...I am looking on the bright side and I cannot wait until I have an amazing smile. :lol:

But....did anyone else experience this "tongue horror" that I now face? :shock: For me, it's the worst part. My teeth are not that sensitive and my sores are starting to toughen up.

Thanks for letting me blab on and on...

-Elly
a BRAND NEW brace face! :-}

elly123

#2 Post by elly123 »

Thanks, everyone :)

Meryaten: I have decided that I will try and tough it out a few more days (for my tongue that is) and if I still feel this way, I will call my ortho and see what he says. It feels like he pushed them down on one side of my mouth and not the other, so maybe he can just do the other side!

And thank you KK...I am going to go to my local pharmacy and see if I can get a hold of some peroxyl!

Thank you!!! :-1

Nikkiekoala

#3 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I know right now it is hard to believe but you will adjust to the bands. Your tongue will toughen up and you will realise that the bands don't bother you.
I am having to go thru' the tongue horror twice. I got bands on 3 of my molars when I first got braces over 2 months ago. Boy did they do a number on my tongue but I rinsed with salt water and used wax after a couple of weeks I didn't have any problems. This week the ortho put bands on 5 more of my teeth so here I go again :cry: At least this time I KNOW it will get better, before I had my doubts.
Hang in there.... use that wax!!!! It is a god send.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

elly123

#4 Post by elly123 »

Thanks again, everyone! Everything is starting to get better a little at time....kind of slow for me since i'm a little impatient :x , but I'm dealing with it!
On a lighter note:
I keep looking at my teeth everyday for improvements. The other day I said to my friend, "Look! I think that tooth has moved!" and she just looked at me and gave me a very sympathetic grin....and chuckled, "It's going to be a very long 2 years for me isn't it!? That's the 3rd day in a row you've said that and you have had your braces for 4." Hahah there you go....my impatience :oops: I'm going to guess I am not the only one like this....?

Best of luck to everyone else going through the same thing!
elly

Nikkiekoala

#5 Post by Nikkiekoala »

He He, no I am afraid you are experiencing a very common side effect of having braces. Boring your friends with braces stories and exclamations of teeth movement. That too will get better. THAT is why we are HERE! :lol:

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

sugar_rush

#6 Post by sugar_rush »

Hi Elly!! Did you get your braces on the 25th of October? I got mine on the 26th. Hehe. I have to have mine for 20 months and you are right eating has been so frustrating. First 2 days, I was so hungry, but the soreness put me off food. I was looking at the Kettle chips and tried to eat some, but they didn't even taste the same because i couldn't chew them properly.
When the pain got too much, I just wanted to rip them out. I couldn't even think how i can wear those things for 2 years. But it's all good now. Well, better anyway.
Yea, I look for changes too. I can't wait till one of the teeth get pulled down, it will happen faster when the one next to it gets extracted in 2 weeks.
Well hope youe mouth is getting better.