New Member-finally starting after many years

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bethne3

New Member-finally starting after many years

#1 Post by bethne3 »

I have been a lurker of this site for the past few months now and I am finally feel like I am able to join the group! A quick intro, I am 28 and from IL.

I have always had issues with my teeth, i.e. crowding, overbite, crossbite, etc. I don't smile as much as I'd like to because I've been embarassed about how my teeth look.

I went to an orthodontist 2 years ago because I was ready to take the big step towards braces but I was told that they wouldn't put them on me unless I got jaw surgery. Needless to say, I chose not to go that route and figured I should give up on the idea that I'd ever get my teeth fixed.

Fast forward to 2005...the past few months I have been wondering if maybe a second opinion would be beneficial. I went to a new ortho about 1.5 months ago and she told me she could put braces on me. I was so happy! After two consultations, x-rays, molds, pictures, etc, I am now on my way to starting the journey!

I am getting my 4 wisdoms removed on November 16 and then November 22 I will have an upper and lower expander put on along with getting braced. The expected timeline is 2-3 years with them on.

I have a few butterflies, (okay, many butterflies) about getting my wisdoms removed. I am terrified of going "under" and I'm worried about the pain afterwards. I'm also worried about how the expanders and braces will effect my speech. I am constantly on the phone at work.

My motto going forward is "No pain, no gain."

I can't believe that after so many years of hating my teeth and not wanting to smile is going to be fixed. I'm so excited to have a nice smile. It is something I have always wanted.

This site has already helped me so much and I look forward to telling my story as things progress.

Bethany

hannah164

#2 Post by hannah164 »

Congratulations Bethany on finally getting started!
Good luck with getting your wisdom teeth out! and getting your expanders and braces! Hope all goes well! Look forward to following your progress!

-Hannah

amiyumi

#3 Post by amiyumi »

hey Beth!
Thtas weird im in a similar situation,and i'm getting all 4wisdoms outn the 17rh!im also pretty scared!please let me know how you get on!ill b prayin 4ya! :D :GapToothed:

S_Ranger

#4 Post by S_Ranger »

Alright, be sure to post pictures of your progress. We always like those.

bethne3

#5 Post by bethne3 »

Thank you guys so much!
I will keep you all posted on my progress and yes, I will post pictures soon...probably this weekend when I have some more time.

It's so nice to know that I'm not alone with this. It's very comforting to read about others and their similar experiences.

Bethany

bethne3

Ugh, wisdoms are out

#6 Post by bethne3 »

So Monday morning I had all 4 of my wisdoms out. I was so nervous the entire weekend but thankfully my Dad went with me and he made me feel a bit more comfortable. (I'm a daddy's girl ;)
At 7:45 I took 3 pills and was told to sit back down in the waiting room until they went into effect. I was told afterwards that they only waited 20 minutes and then brought me into the surgery room.
I was hooked up to a few monitors and then had a headpiece put on to give me dosages of gas.
I was totally out of it.
I remember bits and peices about what happened, "turn your head towards me", "open your mouth alittle wider", etc. I remember my eyes were closed and I didn't feel any pain until the last tooth. It was my lower right wisdom. Oh my gosh, I don't think I have ever undergone anything more torturous then that thing getting pulled out. She had a heck of a time getting it out. I heard cracking, I felt the pulling, squeezing, shifting....it was AWFUL!
I believe the whole surgery took close to two hours. After I was able to get up, I held onto one of the nurses and went to my Dad. He said that the walk to the car was a long one (I was so incredibly out of it, I don't remember anything of what happened.)
He told me that I asked him if I was drooling....and I was. I was drooling blood. It was gross. Thankfully he had a towel inthe truck.

I spent the rest of that day basically sleeping on and off. Swallowing was very difficult. That was something that I didn't know was going to happen. My face felt incredibly sore and my jaw was aching very badly. They gave me 4 prescriptions. One steroid, one antibiotic, a special mouthwash and Vicodin.
It has been 4 days since I've gotten the pulled and I am still in a lot of pain. I haven't been able to go into work all week. I have spent every day on the couch with ice bags, eating anything soft like ice cream, apple sauce, soup, etc.
I have been careful not to take more Vicodin then needed. Today I told myself that I was going to make it through the day without it but by early evening I was in such discomfort that I needed one.

I don't really know why I'm still feeling so terrible. My upper wisdoms are completely fine. My lower left one feels a bit achy but nothing too bad. It's this right lower tooth that is just killing me. I'm not sure how much force they had to use to get the darn thing out but I would have thought after this long I would have started feeling better.
My mouth (the right side) is still extremely swollen and I still can't really open my mouth too wide.
the stitches are kind of making me feel icky too. It's strange having them in my mouth moving around.

The thing is is that I'm supposed to get my braces and upper/lower expanders put in next Tuesday. I'm not sure how realistic that is going to be.
We shall see.

Even through all of this, I am sooooo relieved that it is all over! I would do it again if I had to, although I think I would have liked to have been completely put out. I will never forget the noises I heard with that last tooth. EEEK!

amiyumi

#7 Post by amiyumi »

hey beth!had mine out yesterday-oh boy the swelling is ridiculous!and i am TERRIFIED to like rinse my mouth oor anytrhing case i get dry socket.also my tongue is totally numb still-did that happen 2u? :shock:

bethne3

#8 Post by bethne3 »

hey Ami,
Well, it's been almost a week and I am finally starting to feel better. The swelling and soreness has drastically gone down.
Did your surgeon give you a special mouth rinse to use?
I was nervous to rinse also but it doesn't hurt that much.
My tongue was numb for a day or two after the surgery too!

Let me know how you're feeling! It will get better, I promise!

bethne3

#9 Post by bethne3 »

Thank you, Kiwi!
Your positive spirit made me feel better. :)
I am doing much better now and I am greatly anticipating what will happen on Tuesday. I'm excited actually to start the braces process!

My mouth is still a bit sore but it is definetely a lot better then it was and I am still so relieved that I mustered up the courage to get the wisdoms pulled. :)

Bethne

summergirl

#10 Post by summergirl »

hi Beth, I am going thru the same thing .I had molars removed years ago and nothing put in its place so now I am having many problems as I should have been braced then.Parents did not pay for it so as it goes. Here many years later being braced .I also have the expander ,just to let you know you are going to hear it doesn't work on adults .It does work it you have to go very very slow .What kind of expanders ?? It is hard to talk at first you have sooooo much salava that goes away after a week.2nd week is much better.My ortho told me it takes 21 days untill your body adjusts to it.I am on week 2 it is much better.Remember only tighten very very little .
summergirl