Arch widening/smile broadening with braces alone

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tofino

Arch widening/smile broadening with braces alone

#1 Post by tofino »

Hi.

Would somebody please post some pictures to show me an example of how your smile was 'broadened' with braces alone? (TPA and other appliances are fine, I'm referring to non-surgical examples).

I would really like to see a few actual cases of this.

Thanks and Cheers

Glen

jimmy18

#2 Post by jimmy18 »

I think this is happening for me, and I just have braces. If I can find the charger for my camera I will be sure to post some pictures for you.

megan_in_pink

#3 Post by megan_in_pink »

that is what they are doing to mine right now, but the ortho said it takes 6 mts so i will show pics, when things get moving

S_Ranger

#4 Post by S_Ranger »

I bump this topic because I'm want to see actual cases too.

jaws

#5 Post by jaws »

Here are some pictures showing how my arch has widened...I have expanders and braces, but I didn't have surgery. I have had braces and expanders for 6 1/2 months.

Here is my progress on the bottom (progress has been slow, since I was having issues with my expander and had to have it removed for awhile):

And here is my progress on the top (which has been more noticable):

I have been told by some orthos that this isn't really 'expansion', since my palate is not actually widening, my teeth are just being tipped outwards. However I am definitely noticing a difference. It is kind of hard to tell from these photos--but you can sort of see how my smile has broadened (i.e. you can see more teeth in the second photo):

We will see how things progress from here!
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

tofino

Thank you!

#6 Post by tofino »

Hi Jaws.

I think I understand now - what a great improvement you've experienced.

Thanks and Cheers

Glen

Gable74

#7 Post by Gable74 »

you can see here in my photo's how just wires alone have "uncrowded" alot of my teeth, by Christmas, all should be inline. The last photo in the series was taken 2 weeks ago.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/g ... pare_3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/g ... pare_1.jpg

Jodster

#8 Post by Jodster »

Jaws--I would really be interested in finding out from you how old you are (approximately, if necessary), and what your ortho says about any possibility of your gums receding or any future problems 20-30 years from now. I keep asking my ortho about it and he told me that it would be ok for 20-30 years, then I would start experiencing problems. I don't know if it is because he has old school or what. I am 33 and would LOVE not to have to have SARPE.

do you have a cross bite, and if so, about how much?

thanks,
^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^

Ceramic Uppers 9/6/05; metal lowers 11/8/05
4 bicuspids removed 10/26/05

33 y.o. male whose parents couldn't afford braces as a teen---and YES, I TOO AM OBSESSED!!

jaws

#9 Post by jaws »

Jodster,

I am 26 years old, and my ortho hasn't mentioned anything about my gums receding or future problems. However, it is important to note that my palate wasn't extremely narrow to begin with. I went to two different orthos before starting my braces journey, and one ortho recommended extractions, while the second ortho (who I eventually went with) said that he would not need to extract.

So, my current ortho did not extract any teeth. However, I have also begun to realize that the method he is using (with the upper and lower expanders) is not very well-known (neither of the orthos on this site have heard of it, and there isn't much info on it on the internet). I think that some orthos question whether this type of treatment is actually possible (i.e. expanding bone and tissue in adults, especially using these types of expanders, which I have been told are not even 'true' expanders').

So it's really hard for me to tell whether I am going to have problems in the future. Obviously my ortho doesn't think so, since he is singing the praises of this new 'revolutionary' procedure, but I guess only time will tell. It's a bit of a gamble, but I am so pleased with my progress so far that I can't complain!

My advice would be to get a bunch of opinions from different orthos before you start anything--you would be surprised at how much their opinions can differ!

Oh, and no, I do not have a crossbite.

Good luck!
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

2oldtocare

Tofino

#10 Post by 2oldtocare »

I'm 54 years old, and have had braces for 10 months now. I wish I had some pictures to show you, before and after. Let's just say that my upper teeth on one side were slanting in towards my tongue and not meeting my lower teeth correctly, which was causing a bite, and wearing problem. This is the problem my expander is fixing. It has pushed the teeth out so that they are over my lower teeth. The only problem now is that in expanding the arch it has increased my overbite. Hopefully they will be able to adjust this with elastics. The power chains have helped also. I've got a while to go yet, so I'm not worried yet about that. :?

Kingge21

Re: Arch widening/smile broadening with braces alone

#11 Post by Kingge21 »

This is the result I will hopefully achieve.

I would like to know if this is possible as I am 20 but my teeth were so much straighter only a couple of years ago. I know our teeth move throughout our lives (hence the importance of wearing your retainer) but I don't know when your jaw stops growing?

Georgina