What's the longest time you couldn't eat for?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LoobyLou

What's the longest time you couldn't eat for?

#1 Post by LoobyLou »

Hi all,

Just wondered what's the longest after an adjustment before actually being able to chew food properly again. I had my braces adjusted last Tuesday (November 1st) and still can't chew anything harder than soft pasta without taking me an hour to get through it or wincing at every mouthful! I know this is the longest so far for me to not be able to eat without pain, but just wondered what the record so far is! :soremouth:

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

Caralyn03

#2 Post by Caralyn03 »

I never have a problem with not being able to eat only the first couple days after i got them on.

and is it normal for a othro to not change your wire for over 3 months?

hannah164

#3 Post by hannah164 »

After I got a bracket put on my impacted tooth with 3 wires on top I couldn't eat normally for about 5 days and even that killed! After I get my turbos and bottom braces I don't think I'll be able to eat for a long time.

Caralyn: yes it is normal for an ortho not to change your wire for over 3 months. In the beginning I don't think they changed my wire for like at least 4.

-Hannah

LoobyLou

#4 Post by LoobyLou »

Well I guess it's unusual for it to be tha long in my experience but then I spose everyone's different and I'm sure you're rtho knows what he's doing. However do ask him if you're not sure as it is quite a while!
x

LoobyLou

#5 Post by LoobyLou »

oops I meant to reply to Caralyn's with that one! doh!

TuZZi

#6 Post by TuZZi »

Well I know I'm a special case on this one..... I haven't eaten anything really "solid" since before I got the expanders in, so well over 2.5 months now. I still eat really soft foods, and avoid chewing altogether if I can. I know this probably isn't the way to go, but with my ortho only being here 4 days a month, I can't afford the extra time a broken bracket, or a wire popping out would add to my treatment.

On one had though, eating mushy foods has helped me lose 20 pounds since I started!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!