Braces+Band?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmotionalElement

Braces+Band?

#1 Post by EmotionalElement »

Hi I'm getting braces tomorrow [Nov. 8] and right after that I have to go to band practice. I play the flute and was asking some of the band kids what happened the first time they got braces. Well it started to freak me out because I have a competition on Saturday and I fear that I won't be able to play.

I'm also nervous about getting them on period. I heard that they hurt and that you won't be able to eat for a week or so. Is that true or is my band friends pulling my leg?

Please I need advice from other bandies and bracies.

Evelyn

#2 Post by Evelyn »

Haha I'm a bandie! Band is my life, two days ago we performed at the NEw York Giants Stadium for marching band (which was AMAZING!!!!)and then today and tomorrow we had/have 7 hour rehearsals for concert band, I think that qualifies me to answer this :D

I play clarinet and I was also worried about the braces affecting my playing. I really didn't notice hardly any difference from when I got the braces and before I had them in my playing, but the biggest difference in my opinion is that it's just a whole lot more uncomfortable to play.

I don't think it effects your sound or articulations that much (but then again, I really forget what it's like to play without the braces so I don't know if it's any easier or if the braces make you sound any worse), all I know is that I've had braces for 38 months tomorrow and I've played clarinet competitively for the whole time-competitions, concerts, the whole shebang. I even got second chair in the top band at my school last year with the braces, so I think that goes to show that once you get past the initial getting used to them period, they don't effect your playing all that much, they just make it a little harder and more uncomfortable to achieve the same sound as you got before but it's still possible.

The initial week might be a little wierd getting used to your new embouchure and everything, but it all should be back to normal after that. Just use lots of wax. Lots and lots of wax.

Much love, Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Caralyn03

#3 Post by Caralyn03 »

hey i was wondering the same thing. and when i tried to play my flute after getting braces it was a little hard to get the sound but after a while it is just like without braces again!

stargirl

#4 Post by stargirl »

I also play the flute! :D

At first, when I got braces, I was really scared. My cousin told me it took her 3 months to be able to make a sound at all!

Luckily, After about 2 weeks I could play. Not the same as before, but I could manage.

It's still not the same almost 7 months later, my tone is a little airy as my embouchure has changed. Hopefully it'll get better.

Good luck!

alexa

#5 Post by alexa »

I play clarinet....I found it just hurts a lot more to hold a solid embouchure for an extended period of time.

Those high school reunion band concerts (down and dirty sight-reading rehearsal then pot luck dinner followed by an evening concert) are killer! :wink:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Shelby014

#6 Post by Shelby014 »

i know the feeling alexa!!! i play the clarinet too, and omg, i have the worst canker sore from having to play all day monday!!! My director keeps telling me to keep my lip firmer, but OOOOWWWWIIIIIIIEEEEEEE hurts sooo bad LoL
but you just gotta keep trying
Shelby
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]