Damons-broaden my smile??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFaceBarbie

Damons-broaden my smile??

#1 Post by BraceFaceBarbie »

I just got braces put on 3 weeks ago. I really hope that they will widen my arch and give me a broader smile. I won't be wearing any expanders or anything like that.
Anyone out there with success in this?
Braced on 10/17/05
Damon 3's
upper & lower
33 years old!

Gigabite

#2 Post by Gigabite »

Hi Barbie,

I had Damons put on my top teeth two months ago and I have noticed that my smile does seem broader.
The archwire seems to be broadening the arch of my teeth on its own and the arch of my top teeth (braced) is now much wider than the arch on my bottom teeth (not braced). My teeth are doing what the archwire tells them to and I can see my molars when I smile now.

It may just be my imagination but I feel more confident about smiling since I got braces. :)
Damon 3 braces

HollyDontSpend

broader

#3 Post by HollyDontSpend »

My smile broadened, but my twin sister's smile is much more of a transformation. Those brackets really helped her. Good luck!
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

bejay23

Just Got Damons

#4 Post by bejay23 »

I don't know if Damon's will broaden your smile or not, but I just got mine on Monday, and I'm questioning if they are working or not. My teeth don't hurt at all. I have a bit of gum tenderness, but other than that I'm perfectly normal. The only problem that I am having is with eating, because of these blue blockers on my upper back teeth to change my bite.

I was also told that once my teeth are alligned I will be getting 4 extractions, with the braces on. So far my process seems to be much more different from everyone else's :?

Gigabite

#5 Post by Gigabite »

bejay23, don't worry! They are most definitely working.

My teeth didn't hurt at all for the first few days and the only pain I have experienced in the last two months has been no worse than a mild toothache. Even then, it's only when I bite.

My teeth have most definitely been moving around, though. After two months, gaps are beginning to appear.
The first time I noticed that my teeth were moving was about two weeks after I had the braces put on when I realized that I couldn't floss between my molars because there were no gaps.

My teeth seem to move in groups, first the left side, then the right side, then the front teeth. Each group is only sensitive for a day or so and then they go back to normal.
Damon 3 braces

BraceFaceBarbie

#6 Post by BraceFaceBarbie »

Hey all! Thanks for the feedback!
I too have noticed that certain teeth will feel tender for a day or two and then the next day other teeth will "feel it".
And, my teeth are definitely loose.

I just want that big wide smile!!
Braced on 10/17/05
Damon 3's
upper & lower
33 years old!

Nikkiekoala

#7 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I may be wrong but from reading about Damon's on the Damon website, I have read that they will widen the arch. Which is especially helpful for crowded cases. The fact that they widen the arch makes it to where extractions aren't necessary. When I looked into getting braces about 8 years ago, I was going to need 4 extractions to get the room needed for my teeth. I didn't want any teeth pulled so decided not to follow thru'. Here I am 8 years later becoming more unhappy with my teeth so decided to go for another consult with a different ortho. He said I didn't need extractions in fact he said extractions would make my face look older and sunken in! Yikes I don't want that! But for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Than I read about it on this site and on the Damon site. Boy I am glad I didn't not get this done 8 years ago!!!
I haven't noticed the widening part but I think my arch must be wider because I have some gaps opening up. Now where on earth are those gaps coming from if my mouth is crowded? Now that I have these gaps (not attractiv but necessary) my teeth have room to slide into the correct positions.
Sorry to ramble but I am beginning to get excited about this whole process.....

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

I met some of the people who work for the company that makes Damons at the AAO show in May. They have very compelling data and case histories that show how their brackets/treatment help broaden the arch. It looks like a very good treatment. Just my "layperson's" impression....
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Nikkiekoala

#9 Post by Nikkiekoala »

That is encouraging! I have read about some cases on their website which also had pictures it was also very compelling. Sometimes you wonder if they really will do what 'they' say. I keep hearing that all braces do the samething but there most be something different with the Damon's or (I think) other self ligation systems that help broaden the arch without the aid of other options ie. extractions, appliances or surgery.
I wonder what it is that make them work differently............... :?:

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/