So I took the old wire home...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

weird_wired

So I took the old wire home...

#1 Post by weird_wired »

...and have been having so much fun playing round with it!

Like it says in all the FAQs, the metal it is made from really is a magical material. You can fold it, try to put a crease in it, yet it springs back to its original perfect arch. Even tie a knot in it - back it springs!

I also did some experiments putting it in hot and cold water. It is SO much more flexible when cold! I held it under the tap and kind of wiggled it around, the difference between hot and cold is amazing!

And so weird... because you learn at school how metals generally get *more* flexible when hot.

Anyway I twisted it into a loop and I am currently wearing it as a ring. I might get beads for it and make the front of a necklace with it.

Jean

Re: So I took the old wire home...

#2 Post by Jean »

weird_wired wrote:Anyway I twisted it into a loop and I am currently wearing it as a ring. I might get beads for it and make the front of a necklace with it.
Bwahahaha! What a fun idea. :-*

Jean
Metal braces on lower arch.
Estimated treatment time: 18 months

butterfly

#3 Post by butterfly »

This is amazing :) I want one too!

I found this on the web:

http://www.engineerguy.com/comm/4265.htm
Perhaps the most interesting use is a shirt woven from nylon fibers with Nitinol wires interspersed. When balled up for packing, it can be unwrinkled with a blast from a hair drier. And when the wearer's body temperature rises, the shirt's sleeves automatically get shorter. It only costs, of course, a modest four thousand dollars.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Gable74

#4 Post by Gable74 »

So i wonder what determines its original shape? Does it have to be manipulated at extremely high temperature? I understand the whole "memory metal" theory, but i wonder how it gets its original shape at the onset.

Hey butterfly, they removed our other thread for some reason.

tkais

#5 Post by tkais »

That's way cool! I'm going to ask my ortho for my wire next time he changes it!

mtbrncofn

#6 Post by mtbrncofn »

That is hysterical! I must remember to ask my ortho for my discarded wire on Monday.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Shelby014

#7 Post by Shelby014 »

i think that i would feel quite odd asking for my wire......i think that i would feel kind of stupid having to explain why i want it, cuz i definetely know that they would ask why on earth i would want a little metal wire that had been in my mouth for two months.....LOL
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Mona0922

#8 Post by Mona0922 »

I have to admit that I've been wondering from the get-go why this metal seems to be the opposite of everything I've ever heard about metal. There have even been some discussions at work about it (basically, they think I've been lied to that it is less flexible at warmer temperatures). I just may follow your lead next time my wires are switched out.

Thanks for the idea, weird!

weird_wired

#9 Post by weird_wired »

Maybe we could recoup the cost of our orthodontic treatment by selling our old wires to the fetishists like the notorious used-panty-vending machines in Japan?!

(only joking, I don't want to encourage those freaks any more, after being pm-ed by one such creep).