Hi..I am new to this forum

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Natasha_26

Hi..I am new to this forum

#1 Post by Natasha_26 »

Hi..

I am new to this forum and recently got braces...2 weeks ago. Am 26 years old..have got ceramic braces.

I am really wishing that I had gotten my braces when I was younger, I have a job interview next week and am just worried that having braces would affect my chances.

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

If you search the forum, you'll find some threads where people talk about this. Most people have said that it wasn't an issue in an interview. And I remember several people saying that they got the job and that the braces were a non-issue, period. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine! :D
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

hannah164

#3 Post by hannah164 »

Welcome Natasha_26! :-1
Congratulations on getting braced!
Good luck with your interview! Let us know how it goes!

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

bracesrok

#4 Post by bracesrok »

i haven't had braces for long.
i get them tightened on december 14.
They aren't awful...you get used to them!
its the worst when you first get them
good luck at your interview!

Ashlee :D
braces are alright, but i still can't wait to get them off!

Geri

#5 Post by Geri »

Hi Natasha! I had an interview about 2 weeks after getting braces and was just as worried as you about how it would affect things. As it turned out, it really didn't matter at all and I got the job! So, try not to worry and very best of luck!
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

Barbiedoll

#6 Post by Barbiedoll »

Hi Natasha_26 and welcome. This is a wonderful place. If you got questions, someone's got the answer. I've learned much here. Good luck. :tingrin:
I reject your reality … and substitute my own.

butterfly

Re: Hi..I am new to this forum

#7 Post by butterfly »

Natasha_26 wrote:worried that having braces would affect my chances.
That might well be!

Adults with braces show some very important things:

- that they care for their health
- that they want to look as good as possible
- that they have enough self-esteem to go through the process
- that they are financially stable
- that they have endurance
- that they are able to make a commitment for years
- that they are willing to keep specific rules every day (hygiene, diet)

A poor, unstable, shy quitter kind of person doesn't get braces. What do you think an employer needs?

Maybe you even bring the braces and their commitment up in a word or two just in case they wouldn't notice :D
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

SueFromNJ

Very important concern

#8 Post by SueFromNJ »

I think job interviewing with braces is nothing to dismiss lightly, as it is a legitimate concern. There are parts of the USA where it is unusual to see a professional adult in braces or crooked teeth, since it seems that everyone else already fixed their teeth as children! And there are some corporate cultures who would not be approving of braces, as they expect people who "already have it all together" and have a certain polished look. I know people on this forum in the past have disagreed with me on this issue, but I seen places that would never hire someone in braces, and I am not talking modeling agencies, either - just corporate offices who want a certain image in their employees.

BUT, that being said, you just have to have confidence and just march in there and do your best! And hope the place you are interviewing at isn't hung up on everyone having the "perfect" appearance! I interviewed in braces for my current job and I got it! :) Fortunately I work in a place where appearances aren't everything (yes, I am a librarian!), and I work with kids, so my braces may have actually been an avantage! :)

Good luck! :)
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

bracesrok

#9 Post by bracesrok »

I don't think that having braces is going to affect your chances at getting your job. I agree with what butterfly wrote.
- that they care for their health
- that they want to look as good as possible
- that they have enough self-esteem to go through the process
- that they are financially stable
- that they have endurance
- that they are able to make a commitment for years
- that they are willing to keep specific rules every day (hygiene, diet)
If someone won't hire you because you care about your teeth then you might not want to work with someone who thinks like that anyways.

-~!Ashlee!~-
braces are alright, but i still can't wait to get them off!

butterfly

#10 Post by butterfly »

I think it depends on the job though. If it's a representative thing, or a salesperson's job, flight attendent or anything like this, I would understand that the employer prefers someone who doesn't have braces. But these employers probably wouldn't hire a fat person either, or someone bald or with a crooked nose... So think about it. For any other job I cannot see a reason not to hire a person with braces. As I can speak from an employer's view as well (my husband has a business) - there is *no* reason not to hire someone with braces. unless you look for a pretty piece of furniture to adorn your office..... (there ARE bosses like this though).
And besides... There are people wihout braces that smell from the mouth, have yellow teeth. yuck. How about THAT :shock:
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner