Starting: excited and scared at the same time

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jesslzz 01

Starting: excited and scared at the same time

#1 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Hi everyone!

I am so happy that I found this website and forum! It really help me to take this step, long awaited and feared at the same time. I am finally made up my mind: I am getting braces for two to three years!

Since I was a teenager (I am 29 now) I have been hating my smile. I used what I call "my fake smile" not because I didn't mean to smile, but because everytime I smiled I pushed my inferior jaw up front to hide a little my awful overjet. I have what somebody on this forum said to be "the mother of all overjets". I am scared to measure it but maybe I will post a picture if I dare! :?
So here I am, tomorrow is x-rays day and then to the orthodoncist...I am now in a strange emotional state between pure fear and excitement... :shock:

I want to thanks to everybody on this forum as well as the webmaster of this incredible and really supportive site.

I also have a question, I have to get two premolars (bicuspids) extracted from my upper jaw. My ortho said in a preliminary way they should be the first bicuspids. This is insolit, but I rather prefer to have my second premolars extracted, since one of them is a complete mess: a root canal that never quite worked well, I won't miss that tooth. But the first premolars are perfect and I really would like to keep them. I don't know if I should ask my ortho about it, is there a chance for him to consider this question?

Please excuse me if my english is not so good, I have to say I am not very good at english writing, please correct me, I am learning!! :lol:

Greetins from Argentina and thanks again!!!

nvcarissa

#2 Post by nvcarissa »

Welcome to the board! And congratulations on starting your braces journey!

Go ahead and ask your ortho about the teeth, but as I understand it, there is usually a good reason for the teeth that they choose to extract. It may be that it would be more difficult to move the remaining teeth. But, it doesn't hurt to ask!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Jesslzz 01

Thanks a lot!

#3 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

I am sorry for the delay in answering your posts, but I didn't have access for this site for over a week! I don't know what happened, my internet service, perhaps? I was starting to get REALLY scared of not being able to talk to somebody about the new "braces time" that I am going to start.

It seems that "braces on" day is December 14th!!!! :o :o :o

And you were right, there is a reason (a really practical one) for extracting the first premolars (bicuspids): in cases of overjet like mine, is not the same to pull back 6 teeth than 8...

Thanks a lot for backing me up in this journey!

dena

#4 Post by dena »

ya casi esta lista para sus braces, no? suerte! ayer me fui para una cita y voy a tener los braces (como se dice 'braces' en espanol?) el 5 de enero. ya estoy nerviosa, pero tengo exito tambien!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

kkalex

#5 Post by kkalex »

Okay... that was a bit confusing...
Good luck on Tuesday, and dont be afraid to ask questions... it'll never hurt!